Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the 33 or 32 gallon one and i want a smaller one just because i do :goodfinge

what are my options? for a bolt-in type application

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
i've seen a 25 gal for bronco's somewhere, check JBG

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
A 19 gallon tank will go in. It's the rear mount tank from an F-150. Make sure you get the one with the appropriate pump....Low pressure in tank, or high pressure in tank.

You need to trim the frame a little...and you need to remove the rear crossmember back. You can use the F-150 straps and use those for the upper straps just like on the Bronco.

And that is as far as I have gotten. To hold the bottom (the tank up) I'm going to build a skid plate from angle iron and 3/16 plate. I should have the install complete and truck running by end of this weekend.

Expect a gain in clearance back there of around 6" I would guess. It hangs down MUCH less

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A 19 gallon tank will go in. It's the rear mount tank from an F-150. Make sure you get the one with the appropriate pump....Low pressure in tank, or high pressure in tank.

You need to trim the frame a little...and you need to remove the rear crossmember back. You can use the F-150 straps and use those for the upper straps just like on the Bronco.

And that is as far as I have gotten. To hold the bottom (the tank up) I'm going to build a skid plate from angle iron and 3/16 plate. I should have the install complete and truck running by end of this weekend.

Expect a gain in clearance back there of around 6" I would guess. It hangs down MUCH less
hmm i was trying to stay away from cutting the frame.. how do you know which fuel pump? hi or lo?

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
hmm i was trying to stay away from cutting the frame.. how do you know which fuel pump? hi or lo?
I felt the same way....But honestly it isn't a big deal. Once I saw an F-350 frame with the bed off, I felt fine trimming the frame. The trucks actually have smaller lips to the "C" than the bronco does from the factory.

The pumps are based on years. I think it's 91 and up has the single high pressure pump, which is what your bronco has.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-30202-gas-tank-25-5-gallon-plastic-80-83.html

this says 80-83, is there any reason and if so what, that makes this unusable on my truck (a 95)?

A couple reasons it won't. The fuel level sender/pump hole is the wrong size to fit a high pressure pump/sender.
You need a matching high pressure pump/sender so that the gauge reads the right level. It should match the 25 gallon size tank. I don't think the 25 gallon size was available with a H/P pump... I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and i have a question about the fuel gauge..if i did switch to the F150 19 gal tank would i have to modify or get a different sending unit so my gauge would read correct? or does it know...

·
Registered
710 Posts
any change in tank dimensions will result in a fuel gauge being off.

You can get plastic fuel cells from jegs used for racecars and real offroad vehicles with a sending unit already in it, then just get a high pressure pump inline...

A bolt in smaller tank that you have to change nothing for just won't work, at the very least your gas gauge will read like 1/4 tank when you run out... To customize a truck you're gonna have to do a little more than just bolt in.

that said, it isn't hard to actually do something to your truck, trimming the frame is easy. Go by the junk yard and start measuring tanks, if you can get something out of a fuel injected 5.0 then you're ahead of the game. Or just get the one out of an f-150 like was mentioned earlier.

and sorry it's gotta be said... WHY??? seems a little like making a low-rider pickup truck... pointless...

sorry, not to disrespect your choices with your truck...

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
A bolt in smaller tank that you have to change nothing for just won't work, at the very least your gas gauge will read like 1/4 tank when you run out... To customize a truck you're gonna have to do a little more than just bolt in.

and sorry it's gotta be said... WHY??? seems a little like making a low-rider pickup truck... pointless...

sorry, not to disrespect your choices with your truck...

A bunch of reasons why. 1) You will actually be able to afford to fill it, making it easier to gauge MPG accurately.
2) If you offroad the truck you gain a TON more clearance. As a side note to #2 if you offroad the truck and want the clearance the smaller F-150 tank is a MUCH cleaner install than a raised tank IMO.
3) At 15mpg a 19 gallon tank gives a 285 mile range. That should be plenty for anyone. If not one jerry can brings the range up to 360 miles and with two jerry cans 435 miles.

and i have a question about the fuel gauge..if i did switch to the F150 19 gal tank would i have to modify or get a different sending unit so my gauge would read correct? or does it know...

FWIW if you change the entire pump and sender unit along with the tank you should be fine. That sender matches the tank, and the gauges 'should' be the same.

Also, I got mine in tonight. If you slide the tank in from the back you only have to trim about 1/2" maybe even less per side. And you still end up with a much more substantial frame than a stock F-150 frame.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
The "afford to fill it" doesnt make since. You dont have to fill it. just put in what you can afford. 285 miles sounds like nothing to me. But of course I put a 40 gal tank on mine and a 50 gal tank with quick disconnects that goes in the back! That may be a little extreem, but I only get about 13 1/2 to 14 mpg. By the time you hit the tank, your dragging your bumper.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
...2) If you offroad the truck you gain a TON more clearance. As a side note to #2 if you offroad the truck and want the clearance the smaller F-150 tank is a MUCH cleaner install than a raised tank IMO...
When you wheel it with a F150 tank you will hate it. It's terrible off road. You'll need those jerry cans to keep topping it up because it will be starving when it's off camber and <1/2 full.

...Also, I got mine in tonight. If you slide the tank in from the back you only have to trim about 1/2" maybe even less per side. And you still end up with a much more substantial frame than a stock F-150 frame.
The reason you trimmed the frame is because the F150 frame rails are taller than the Bronco frame, right? How does that make the Bronco frame stronger?

·
Registered
199 Posts
The "afford to fill it" doesnt make since. You dont have to fill it. just put in what you can afford. 285 miles sounds like nothing to me. But of course I put a 40 gal tank on mine and a 50 gal tank with quick disconnects that goes in the back! That may be a little extreem, but I only get about 13 1/2 to 14 mpg. By the time you hit the tank, your dragging your bumper.
*sense.. I thought that logic was flawed as well. You only have to spend the extra cash to fill it once, then just fill it back up when you hit 1/2 tank.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
When you wheel it with a F150 tank you will hate it. It's terrible off road. You'll need those jerry cans to keep topping it up because it will be starving when it's off camber and <1/2 full.

The reason you trimmed the frame is because the F150 frame rails are taller than the Bronco frame, right? How does that make the Bronco frame stronger?

This is a fuel injected truck, so I hope that is the difference in the tank starving for fuel. There isn't much reason it would do so more than the bronco tank.

No the truck frames have smaller legs on the C channel. The bronco has much wider legs.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have this theory that the more fuel you have in the tank is lost mileage cause of the weight. which is why i never have mine on F, that and it's expensive lol.

with a smaller tank i reckon i can fill it up (to calculate mileage and see it bein pretty on full) and not carry around so much weight.

i don't take my bronco on trips, haven't yet anyways..and if I ever wheel, i can appreciate the gained clearance :thumbup

so yes there are plenty of reasons :toothless

1 - 16 of 16 Posts