Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1990 eddie b bronco, pretty much stock (engine wise) and i was wondering, since i dont know a whole lot about tuning up or enhancing a engines horse power, what was some of the things that i could do for it. like cold air intake, etc? i have no idea...so im asking for some budget efficent help to add a little more gallop! thank you

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
What engine??

Best thing to start off on with any used vehicle is to make sure its tuned up well and all the maintenance is taken care of. How do the spark plugs and wires look?(cap and rotor too). Pull codes to see if there are any current problems. Check base timing, check fuel pressure. All the fluids and filters in good shape? any current problems you know about?

After you are sure all the maintenance is caught up and the engine is tuned up, then you can start making modifications...which really are dependent on what engine/trans combo ya got

·
Registered
344 Posts
The easiest what to get a little more HP would exhaust summit racing headers get a high flowing catalitic converter and 3" piping. Increasing flow really helps so upgrading the upper and lower intake manifolds will really help with that also but those can get pricey. Another thing you can do is upgrades the cylinders heads to Gt40 or Gt40p. Cold air intakes really won't do much for you other that maybe get you 2 more horses which I don't think is worth it for the price of them. Use the search function and I'm sure you'll find more by doing that. Also if you over sized tires regear first that is your first priority

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
I've heard that anything above 2.5 inch piping isnt going to make a difference.
But: make sure the maintenance is done
6litre tuneup (motorcraft plugs are the best, they may be own but ford gasoline engines always run better with the motorcraft plugs)
Summit headers(they are either reboxed pacesetters or mine were pace setters)
an a k&n fipk (filter injection performance kit)

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
And just as a routine thing. Pull codes ASAP to make sure you don't have anything holding you back)

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
What engine??

Best thing to start off on with any used vehicle is to make sure its tuned up well and all the maintenance is taken care of. How do the spark plugs and wires look?(cap and rotor too). Pull codes to see if there are any current problems. Check base timing, check fuel pressure. All the fluids and filters in good shape? any current problems you know about?
After you are sure all the maintenance is caught up and the engine is tuned up, then you can start making modifications...which really are dependent on what engine/trans combo ya got
What mag said make sure you fix all current issues berfore mods. Everything should be in great running shape.

Question for you - Why do you want more HP? Do you mud, rock climb,sand,or just street it?

buy a mustang???
:stupid
Best way to go if your looking for a hot rod.

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
cheapest and easiest way to pick up a few extra horsepower is to do a tune up and bump your timing up to 14*

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its a 302 fuel injected and i have KM2 33's on it right now, with 4 inch skyjacker lift. if that helps any

·
Registered
197 Posts
well after you get all the maintenence stuff taken care of and new gears to offset the oversized tires just find you a FI 460 out of a 90's f250 or f350.

You havnt given us much info to go on. Are you wanting huge HP? if so you will need to replace axles with something beefier Dana 60 F&R. Do you just want better drivability with the 33's re gearing should help that. Do you want to put lots of $ into this. You can build pretty much whatever you want for the right $. Give us some more info as in what you actually want so we can give you some real Ideas.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
its a 302 fuel injected
Whats you budget and mechanical abilities.

The bottle neck on ford 302EFI truck engines are the heads and exhaust system. Until you tackle those, there is no need to do anything else to that engine except for routine maintenance with quality parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you guys a lot! and no I'm not on a huge budget, i just want a lil more hp for the mud and for towing. and i have no knowledge on how to increase an engines performance so thats why i was asking.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here's the order i've always gone about trying to extract hp from an engine....if the hp isn't enough just go to the next step

1.) tune up and pull codes (make sure everything is running good - fluids/filters/6litre tune up) cost = $
2.) intake, headers, exhaust (basic bolts that you can perform with the simple tools and if you're saavy you can get this stuff pretty cheap) cost = $$
3.) more aggresive gears and drivetrain (you're probably gonna want a shop do this, it helps with acceleration quite a bit but will probably kill your gase mileage on the higway but if you're in the mud that's not really important) cost = $$$
4.) heads and cam (have a shop do this if you don't know what you're doing) cost = $$$$
5.) build your block - cost = $$$$$
6.) supercharger, no2, or turbo (no2 = cheap, other forms of FI = $$$$)
7.) engine swap

A lot of the people on here are very knowledgable and can offer tips and there are tons of write ups on this website if you wanna tackle it yourself.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes like everybody else.... TUNE UP!
I also did some upgrades, mainly external cheap and fast
MSD street fire coil $45, MSD cap and rotor $22, MSD 8.8 wires $80, E3 spark plugs $5 ea.
timing bump(about 17 degrees) NO FLAMING!, I use a vacuum guage turn till max vacuum attained, than back 1/2 inHg. shows when engine is under least load at timing.
K&N drop in filter $45, new FPR $15, PCV valve
Exhaust is Summit shorties, stock Y-pipe, removed and re-piped first CAT, 3" from there, magnaflow CAT, flowmaster 44,
Been running this combo for 3years, no problems, lots of power(5spd). about 18mpg, but I also have E7TE heads and .488 lift cam

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
well after you get all the maintenence stuff taken care of and new gears to offset the oversized tires just find you a FI 460 out of a 90's f250 or f350.

You havnt given us much info to go on. Are you wanting huge HP? if so you will need to replace axles with something beefier Dana 60 F&R. Do you just want better drivability with the 33's re gearing should help that. Do you want to put lots of $ into this. You can build pretty much whatever you want for the right $. Give us some more info as in what you actually want so we can give you some real Ideas.
"asking for some budget efficent help to add a little more gallop!"

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Now that i know what engine you have....Gotta agree with gack..

Full exhuast(headers back). And if you really want to tear into it...put some bigger heads on it.

One of the GT-40s, edelbrock performers, or some AFR's

1 - 20 of 20 Posts