Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, id like to scrap the low gauge crap that came stock and rewire my headlights, i have access to any guage wire i would need and can do all the solder /splices properly but dont really have the ability to "make" plugs to the headlight. Am i better off buying a heavy duty headlight harness? If i make mine i only have to rewire as far as the relay is that right, and 12 v feed...

·
Registered
796 Posts

·
Banned
7,300 Posts
The stock crap is plenty, if you keep the h/l circuit terminals clean, and the battery terminals, and the body grounds... Swapping to modern (HID or LED) h/ls would probably do more good than rewiring or adding relays. Either draws less current than sealed-beam halogen, and changes color less with voltage variations.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, everything is pretty clean now. I have read in the past about the wires in stock configuration which led me to believe they suck butbif they work that's great. Leds were in my mind, i find the stock sealed beams are lame on my drive to work even with high beams

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, everything is pretty clean now. I have read in the past about the wires in stock configuration which led me to believe they suck butbif they work that's great. Leds were in my mind, i find the stock sealed beams are lame on my drive to work even with high beams
Been awhile and its dark driving days again. Any suggestions on led lights for the ol bastard? I drive the street minimally, but would be nice not to be "that guy" dumping light out everywhere for oncoming drivers. Do i get a new lens body and choose whatever lamp i want? Im open to suggestions, i have not touched the wiring yet and may not

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,200 Posts
I have the jbg heavy duty harness, which takes the load off the switch. It's super simple to install.

From there I got their h4 conversion kit. It's a nice mid range product, with much better output than the stock sealed beams. Total I had about 125 bucks in it.

Hella and Cibie (or Cibbie) both sell a conversion lamp too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm currently in the process of replacing my lamps, just got the parts. Hoping that yellow turns into a nice bright white. When it rains at night I can barely see 10 feet in front of the car sometimes!

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm currently in the process of replacing my lamps, just got the parts. Hoping that yellow turns into a nice bright white. When it rains at night I can barely see 10 feet in front of the car sometimes!
That's my situation rainy dark days are here and oems suck!

·
Super Moderator
4,917 Posts
I have the jbg heavy duty harness, which takes the load off the switch. It's super simple to install.

From there I got their h4 conversion kit. It's a nice mid range product, with much better output than the stock sealed beams. Total I had about 125 bucks in it.

Hella and Cibie (or Cibbie) both sell a conversion lamp too.
This is exactly what I did, too. Totally recommend it.
Swapping out the dingy yellow lights for bright white, and using the heavy duty harness was totally worth it.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/23-technical-write-ups/403570-bronco-graveyard-heavy-duty-headlight-harness.html

Reactions: SRWillis

·
Super Moderator
4,917 Posts
We got a late start when headed out camping this year. By the time we got to the dirt road, it was pitch black with no moon. Plenty of light. :D

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We got a late start when headed out camping this year. By the time we got to the dirt road, it was pitch black with no moon. Plenty of light. :D

Nice so thats the bronco graveyard and h4 kit. I assume we can then change bulbs on that lens too eh?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,200 Posts
His is not the jbg h4 kit, but similar I assume. I do have both the jbg harness and h4 kit. Yes you can swap the bulbs out, that's the whole point of the conversion. You no longer have to swap out the 5x7 bulb, but instead just the little h4 style plug in bulb. The ones in the kit are either Philips or Sylvania, and are pretty decent.

My light output looks just like ABs above.

·
Super Moderator
4,917 Posts
Yes. It uses the standard 60/55W H4 bulbs.
I made sure to get glass lenses since some H4 kits come with plastic, which yellow over time.

·
Addicted to Junk
13,200 Posts
I grabbed this rampage kit. Visually it appears identical to jbg one, its glass so thats good and a 2 yr warranty thru amazon. Should be here monday! Thanks guys
My JBG kit was a Rampage brand, with glass lenses

Reactions: Elliott000
1 - 16 of 16 Posts