Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think that the salt water in BPs gas is bad for my engine?

But in all seriousness, how do I get my inline fuel pump off? I have big clumsy hands.... do I have to remove the spinny thing with a belt on the front of my 351W?

·
Registered
271 Posts
boycot them

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pulley* I was very tired when I posted that.

I am going to boycott my timing belt!

I don't have a haynes, or the money to get one. I dont even have the money for a fuel pump, but got to come up with it.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
You dont have a timing belt. And you are not making any sense at all lol

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,067 Posts
So is it a mechanical fuel pump on the side of the engine? I'm not familiar with the specifics of an 86, but have changed fuel pumps on other small block Fords. If it's a mechanical pump, you normally undo the fuel lines & take off the bolts holding it to the engine. Sometimes it's easier to reach from underneath, but you have to be careful to keep gas out of your eyes & armpits. Yeah, it stings in the pits. You don't normally remove the pulleys, but might need an extension & universal to reach the bolts.

The arm in the pic below is moved up & down by an eccentric mounted to the timing sprocket, & you have to work a little sometimes to install it if the eccentric is down.

As for not having a manual, it's a money saver in the long run, & you ought to locate one. They're about $20.00 new at the parts store, & cheaper used. Here's a "Buy it Now" on ebay for $6.00 including shipping all the way across the country.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Money for it fell into my lap today, awesome timing. Thank you Kabong :D
Going to try and go pick one up today, and ill try and replace it... :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Halp

I can't get my fuel pump to go in, the lever thingy doesn't fit all the way in.... doesnt it press against my cam? and that tells it to pump fuel as it spins? If so, would it be wise to crank my engine with nothing there, to perhaps move the cam so I can get it further in? Or move something by hand? Or just roid rage it and shove it in?

Oh eccentric... how do I move that?

·
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,067 Posts
Well, not the cam itself, but the eccentric mounted to the front of it. Look at the pic below, & see the offset circle in the center of the top sprocket. If you rotate the engine so that offset is up, then the pump installs easier. The lever from the pump rides on the bottom of that offset.

You can rotate the engine with a breaker bar on the big bolt inside the bottom pulley. Make sure the key is off, & disconnect the coil wire to keep it from trying to start while you turn it. Brake set, Trans in neutral or park. Be aware that one full turn of the bottom pulley & sprocket (Crankshaft) is only one half turn of the top sprocket & eccentric (Camshaft). It'll be hard to see the eccentric thru the opening, but you should be able to tell by trying the pump until it fits.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, not the cam itself, but the eccentric mounted to the front of it. Look at the pic below, & see the offset circle in the center of the top sprocket. If you rotate the engine so that offset is up, then the pump installs easier. The lever from the pump rides on the bottom of that offset.

You can rotate the engine with a breaker bar on the big bolt inside the bottom pulley. Make sure the key is off, & disconnect the coil wire to keep it from trying to start while you turn it. Brake set, Trans in neutral or park. Be aware that one full turn of the bottom pulley & sprocket (Crankshaft) is only one half turn of the top sprocket & eccentric (Camshaft). It'll be hard to see the eccentric thru the opening, but you should be able to tell by trying the pump until it fits.

What if I dont have a breaker bar? >.>
Can I use a socket wrench? Also.... can I just DC the battery, and not worry about chopping my arm off?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your going to have to put some muscle into it but yes you can just use your ratchet. I believe it is a 15/16". Disconnecting the battery will also disable it.

·
8,067 Posts
I was taught to pull the coil wire, & have done it that way for years. It's the wire from the coil to the center of the distributor cap. It's much easier to do than disconnecting the battery, & the engine won't fire with it gone.

Try your biggest ratchet to turn it over. As it turns, it should start to turn somewhat easily, but as you continue the compression will make it harder to turn. Give it a little time for that to bleed down, then it should turn easier again.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
clockwise or counter? EDIT: Big bottom pulley, I forgot lol.

·
8,067 Posts
No. There's another pulley straight down from the fan. In the middle of the bottom pulley there is a 15/16 bolt. Turn that big bolt. I usually turn it clockwise to avoid having the bolt come loose. You're only turning it far enough to rotate the eccentric for the fuel pump out of the way.

Remember to put the trans in park (Auto) or neutral (Stick). If you leave a stick in gear, then you're trying to move the whole truck when you turn the bolt.

Good luck, I'll check back here in about five, but then I gotta get to bed, work comes early tomorrow.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you so much, since its almost 3 am.... I am going to head to sleep. Going to do this as soon as I get up in the morning. Have a nice night

·
Registered
34 Posts
damn you guys help out alot*
this is by far the most feedback that actually helps on a forum*
(also a yaris owner hahaha)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't quite seem to find a big enough socket.... tried the biggest my set has, which is a 7/8... going to head to my girlfriends house later today (She has a better tool set than I...) and see if I can grab her set. Tried to find a 15/16 but no luck

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She doesnt have her socket set anymore, it was her fathers, and her mother is moving out of state and taking it... So im SOL on that, unless I go buy a socket for this. I am REALLY down on money atm, the bank screwed me over bad... Can I just crank my engine without the fuel pump, to turn the cam? Just keep going until it fits? Or would this cause some horrid thing to happen?

·
Registered
472 Posts
The fuel pump accentric on your timing gear is designed in such a manner as to allow easy istallation of the pump when your #1 cylinder is at TDC on it's firing stroke.
You'll need a 15/16" socket to turn the crank pulley. Removing the sparkplugs will enable it to be turned by hand much easier.

Perty simple, eh?

DGW

1 - 20 of 23 Posts