Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Unregistered User
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..remind everyone to remember to keep their trail kits inside the Bronco at all times. Why you ask? Personal experience.
Just for fun this morning I decided to go play in my favourite never dries up mudhole since I had a couple hours before I was to be at work. Just outside the edge of town, in the national forest is where I play. I played just enough to get really dirty, and finally decided it was time to go. One last run through, and just continue to work. I enter the mud, the front end rolls through the soft spot in the middle just fine.. the back rolls in, and I stop moving. Put into reverse to try to softly back out...no go. I get out and walk around to see mud up to the frame, a wheel well, but no tire. Looking into the well I could see my axle going down into the mud, but that was it. I was stuck big time.

After walking the four miles up the road into town to the office of my night job (which happens to be a towing company, thank God), I get a ride back to the truck with one of the day drivers, and he pulls me out. No biggie. The kicker was when I walked back over to where I was stuck, which was now full of muddy water whose colour didnt match the rest of the mud around it. Using a large stick that was nearby, I stuck it down into the hole and found the hole swallowed the stick, and several longer ones I could find too (about 8ft).

So pretty much, I was playing in the mud hole, and I caused a small sinkhole to develop on my last run through, which swallowed my right rear 33x1250 completely. Some freaky sh(i)t huh? Glad it didnt cave in enough to eat me and my truck too.

Now for the moral of the story... I cleaned all the garbage out of the truck last night, and with it was my "trail kit" with my fold up shovels, come alongs and such. I didnt put it back in this morning. If I would have remembered to do so, I wouldnt have had to walk the four miles into town in the rain with my tail between my legs.

DONT FORGET THE ESSENTIALS! EVER!

Damage: Nothing body wise..mostly mud. Exhaust: well, I lost the cat, the dog and the muffler too. Guess I'm getting that new dual pipe system sooner than I thought. Stereo: for some reason, now my stereo is turning itself off for no reason, but when I open and close the drivers door, it will come back on on its own. :shrug Strangest thing... oh well. I wish I had my camera with me at the time, so you could've seen..well not see my right rear tire. I did snap a couple pics one I got into the shop..mostly just to remember the dirt. :\

Something else to note, in all the years I've been screwing with my Broncos and playing in the mud, I've never EVER gotten stuck. And its kinda funny.. I've always been one that when I do something, I do it all out. Today has been no different. This being the first time I've gotten stuck, I got stuck all out. I just didnt get stuck in the mud, I was playing around and caused the farking earth to open up and swallow my tire. What woulda cinched the deal was if my daytime tow driver friend (the one that drives my towtruck during the day) would've gotten my truck stuck with my truck. I'm sure my big boss would've loved that one.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
if youve never been stuck before you arent wheelin hard enough!! :goodfinge :twak

nice story, i had the same thing happen, but when i opened my door it scrapped the ground and i got my shovel out and had to dig to the frame to hook the winch cable from the jeep that pulled me out onto my tow point, that was an interesting morning to say the least!

wes

·
Registered
93 Posts
i also had to learn the hard way. i loaned my spare tire out to a friend who thought his 89 150 was a pre-runner. when he went to jump his truck off this dirt mound he found out that it was just a covered rock. man it looked like he had done some major damage. nothing too bad just the front rim was trashed.
long story short. i drove to colorado with out the spare (not thinking) the family and i went up in the mountains to spend the day, and i'll be damned if i did get a flat. i ran over a 1/2" piece of re-bar right through the sidewall. now the wife is on me pretty good, and the closest town is 30 miles away. well, i made it there and not one service stationed was open the town didn't even have a walmart. so, we ended up calling a friend and he came out there with his bronco, gave up his spare and followed us home. he said to make sure we got there alright...i think he wanted to make sure i gave him his spare back. i can't blame him. now i'm running with two spares.

http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=1394

1 - 3 of 3 Posts