Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have given up on the fuel injection on my inline 6 so im going to put a 4bll intake on it.

I want to keep my split exhaust manifold, so that do I do with the hole on the bottom of the intake manifold?

·
Premium Member
14,612 Posts
If your going to put a 4bbl intake manifold. There is no need to block the hole on the stock one. Stock unit will be replaced. Now if your going with a 2bbl adapter you'll need to make a block off plate. Pretty simple to make.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You lost me, My motor is a 94 and is injected. Im wanting to remove the fuel injection and go to a carbureted setup. I was wondering why is there a square opening on the bottom of the intake manifold?

·
has one helluva
441 Posts
im sure you have your own reasons for doing this, but from all my research this is a waste of time and not worth it at all...you loose a lil bit off all your numbers by doing this. just curious, but what are your reasons for wanting to go carb'd?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My truck started as an 88 with a bad 5.0 and a good body. I had a 94 with a bad body and a good i6. So I did a swap, the 88 engine harness is stand alone from the chassis wiring on a 94 the engine wiring is integrated to the chassis wiring. I went to the boneyard and got an engine harness and ecm from an 87 with a i6. I got every thing switched over and put together and it ran like a top for 5 minutes of so. Now it wont start its burnt 3 ecms no one can figur out the problem, so im going with a carb and a points disturber.

·
Premium Member
14,612 Posts
You lost me, My motor is a 94 and is injected. Im wanting to remove the fuel injection and go to a carbureted setup. I was wondering why is there a square opening on the bottom of the intake manifold?
Your initial post was some what confusing. I was going from the avatar pic of the 80-86 bronco. And was assuming you wanted EFI but opt not to install efi. It would be helpful if you can provide some pics of the portion your questioning.

Regardless the upper and lower portion of the 2 piece efi intake will have to be removed to install a 4bbl intake. Ideally a 4bbl conversion is a waste of time and money as mentioned before. EFI is the better method.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
back to the topic at hand. I have a split exhaust manifold off a newer motor. I want buy a offinhouser 4bbl intake manifold. What is the square port for on the bottom of the 4bbl intake manifold?

·
Premium Member
14,612 Posts
back to the topic at hand. I have a split exhaust manifold off a newer motor. I want buy a offinhouser 4bbl intake manifold. What is the square port for on the bottom of the 4bbl intake manifold?
With the Offy intake you can use your split EFI manifolds with no problem. The square hole on the bottom of the intake is not cut thru.

·
Super Moderator
5,037 Posts
The square port on the bottom of the 4bbl (and stock) intake manifold is for the stock exhaust manifold. The manifolds bolt together and the intake uses exhaust heat to warm up the bottom and help the fuel from the carburetor atomize better.
If you don't use the port, you don't need to do anything with it at all except leave it alone.

On the other hand, you may want to fashion a plate that bolts to the bottom of it that has an in and out coolant line. The hot coolant will simulate the exhaust heat and help the fuel mixture.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you guys no I have some direction. My truck has been down for 2 months and I just found out I have a baby on the way so I need to get her back on the street.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got it running with the fuel injection. I striped a junkyard truck front to back off all its wire harness and ecm and put it in my truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts