Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv been having problems with the bronco for the last week or so. it idles rough, idle bouces between 1000rpm and 500rpm, usual idle is abut 750-800 (when it was running normally). When I give it gas in reverse and let off it gets damn near to dieing or dies completely does the same thing in drive. I pulled the codes today and only code I got was for the o2 sensor but no other code. I replaced the TPS a couple days ago since I had one sitting around (been planning on replacing it for awhile). After a while driving it 10-15min the check engine light comes on which im guessing is from the o2 sensor. I thinking its the IAC but before I go out and buy it I want your guys opionion.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope not, it doesnt die right away it just idles really now and or the rpms just around quite a bit.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
you did unhook the battery after the new TPS..................
Right!!!!!!!??????????!!!!!!!!!????????????

Do that if you haven't yet, for at least 15min, then drive the truck for a week, and update us.

Silly people :twak :beer

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup, unhooked the battery for 30min

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Well then :thumbup :beer
I'd leave it alone, take it for a long drive on the highway, I'll guess it's still learning. Don't worry about it yet

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright I will try that:thumbup

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
94_chickentaco said:
mine did that right before the E4OD puked. Same thing, drop in reverse, bleh... motor would die
sounds like a torque converter

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,699 Posts
yeah but even if it was the torque converter it should still idle ok until he puts a load on it. He says the rpms are bouncing at idle. Mine did the same thing a while ago, and then stopped alogether, I'm not sure what I did. Might try cleaning your IAB as well. Could also be a vacuum leak somewhere. Take some carb cleaner and spray it around while the engine is running and look for leaks. Good luck.

G

·
A new TPS does not mean it is good. Check your voltage. I purchased a new one and it was reading 1.1 volts new which is right at the limits of a 3% variance. I drilled it out and adjusted it to .95, my idle is much better now. Good replies above assuming your throttle body is clean and the new tps is in range.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah I took that into consideration to blown, im planning on testing it tonight. First though I have to get the truck started, I started it up at lunch and it died, tried restarting and it wouldnt start. I checked out the cap and rotor and their in diered need of replacement i will buy new cap, rotor and plug wires tonight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 90 f-150 was doing the same thing just 2weeks ago. Come to find out after I tried everything that i could think of, including trying to blow the [email protected]#* thing up, it was the coolant temperature sensor. It might be worth a try for $35.00. Good Luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
So about the TPS, Mine is showing a voltage of 4.83. The Haynes manual says it should be between 0.5 and 1.0 volts at idle and 4.0 and 5.0 volts at WOT(Wide Open Throtlle).
There is no change in voltage from idle or WOT. It just remains at 4.83volts. Any clues as to why this is?
The resistance test shows it as being within limits.

Sorry if I stole your thread.

·
Something Spiffy
940 Posts
Cunning78 said:
So about the TPS, Mine is showing a voltage of 4.83. The Haynes manual says it should be between 0.5 and 1.0 volts at idle and 4.0 and 5.0 volts at WOT(Wide Open Throtlle).
There is no change in voltage from idle or WOT. It just remains at 4.83volts. Any clues as to why this is?

Heh it sounds like you need a new TPS

·
Registered
506 Posts
If it doesn't get beter in a week or so, clean out your IAC with carb cleaner. I had the same symptoms a while back and that little trick worked wonders.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Cunning78 said:

You did it wrong, it needs to be plugged in, and you probe the wire from the back.

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
88 351/AOD/4” ProComp 94 351/E4OD/4” Superlift
2,914 Posts
Talk about a late response.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts