Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Back in Action
6,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started the day ice fishing, between me and 3 friends, we caught 15 fish(i had 3(2 yellow perch, 1 pickeroll(sp??)))
then explored this "un paved road" which ended up being flooded by a pond and the CT river, so i got my truck muddy

:popc1:

this was the catch of the day, it was about 20"+
if you dont know your fish, The pickeroll is a cousin of the Pike, 20" is a decent size for one IMO

more wheeling photos can be seen in the FOTM thread:beer

·
No prepuce on my -
1,167 Posts
Nice pics. Ice isn't exactly super safe around here. I'm headed to Higgins lake in two weeks...but the bronco stays on dry land this year...

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
You eat that pick-a-whatever? I didn't think pike was something ya eat, so if this is it's cousin......?

Of course I dunno cause we ain't got pike around here. Although I think there is a fish (might just be pike) in some of the lakes south of here that are killin off all the indigenous fish. They are foreign to the waters and screwin stuff up bad.

Gonna have to find out what that is now. Ya gots me all curious and stuff and junk.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
fishing (and actually catching something) + playing with the 4x4 = awsome

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
You eat that pick-a-whatever? I didn't think pike was something ya eat, so if this is it's cousin......?

Of course I dunno cause we ain't got pike around here. Although I think there is a fish (might just be pike) in some of the lakes south of here that are killin off all the indigenous fish. They are foreign to the waters and screwin stuff up bad.

Gonna have to find out what that is now. Ya gots me all curious and stuff and junk.
Different ares of North America call the same fish different names

In North West territories they call Pike "Jack fish" and those suckers are longer than the boat is wide (no $h!t) :shocked

The Pickerel GreenMonster was so fortunate to catch is also called WallEye and other names too. As fresh water fish go, it's one of the tastiest fish you'll ever eat.

Around here it fetches more per pound than salmon.

Nice catch !

I'm with Waltman, Bronco's and ice fishing go better together than choking on apple pie in your Chevrolet.

Sixlitre

·
Back in Action
6,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

my friends attempted to fillet it, and cook it, didnt come out well

not much of a fish eater, just like the sport:chili:

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
The Pickerel GreenMonster was so fortunate to catch is also called WallEye and other names too. As fresh water fish go, it's one of the tastiest fish you'll ever eat.
Now that I've heard of. But more expensive then salmon? I guess it would be here too since I get my salmon (and steelhead) outta the river.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Now that I've heard of. But more expensive then salmon? I guess it would be here too since I get my salmon (and steelhead) outta the river.
Seriously Joe

a good deal more expensive than salmon. They're two different tastes and I wouldn't trade one for the other, but it's the best fresh water fish I've tasted.

Sweet white flesh

Sixlitre

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Firm or flaky?

Can you compare the texture/taste to another fish? We eat a lot of salmon, ling, halibut. Pretty plentiful and easily come by living on the ocean as we do.

We do supplement or fresh stuff with store bought and would like to know just in case I run across this at the store.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Different ares of North America call the same fish different names

In North West territories they call Pike "Jack fish" and those suckers are longer than the boat is wide (no $h!t) :shocked

Sixlitre
If I'm reading your post correctly, then I have to say you are mistaken. A Pickerel and a Walleye are not the same thing.

This is a Pickerel:

This is a Walleye:

Nice work GreenMonster, Ice fishing is definitely addicting. BTW I saw getting into your truck a few weeks back at Cabelas and by the time I headed over to introduce myself you already started driving.

·
Back in Action
6,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I'm reading your post correctly, then I have to say you are mistaken. A Pickerel and a Walleye are not the same thing.

This is a Pickerel:

This is a Walleye:

Nice work GreenMonster, Ice fishing is definitely addicting. BTW I saw getting into your truck a few weeks back at Cabelas and by the time I headed over to introduce myself you already started driving.

thats a bummer:doh0715:

wish i wasnt in so much of a rush

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Firm or flaky?

Can you compare the texture/taste to another fish? We eat a lot of salmon, ling, halibut. Pretty plentiful and easily come by living on the ocean as we do.

We do supplement or fresh stuff with store bought and would like to know just in case I run across this at the store.
Firm, but nowhere near as firm as Salmon

but plenty tasty. Tell you don't have access to hours old halibut you lucky dog !

Sixlitre

I stand corrected (thanks itfliesitdies870), though I have heard other names for pickerel.

Greenmonster

Wait for at least a 2 pounder. Ours average 5 lbs up here on the South Nation river

1 - 20 of 20 Posts