Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every so often, the Grand River here in Grand Rapids gets jammed up with Ice and floods over.

The last major Ice Jam we had was, I believe, 3 years ago. Alot of snow, combined with temps in the 40's, some rain, and then a major deep freeze always produces some problems for the river.

I went out to take some pics. I live about a block away from the River. There are many houses built right along the river, but most are elevated. The folks in these neighborhoods are used to it, as the river does flood over quite often.

However, I wasn't able to get any pictures of the actual streets these houses are built on, only because I respect the privacy of the people who live on these private streets, and when the roads are closed, I don't feel right wandering back in there taking pictures of there situation.

So all of these pics are taken from Downtown Grand Rapids.

In these first two pics, you are looking at what is usually a dam, with a good 4-5ft waterfall when the river is at normal levels. As you can see, it is much over flood stage, and has completely swelled up the dam, though you can see where the dam is right along that ice-break line.

Here, you are looking at the fish ladder (on the left) and straight ahead is what is usually a dry concrete area where you can stand to overlook the river, however now it is about 4 ft deep in ice cold water. If you look out to where the concrete structure ends, there is a fence there. Just to give you an idea of how much is submerged.

Next are just a few pics of the river to show the Ice Jam

And these next pics are a little further down the river towards the highway bridges. Typically there is a walking path here as well. Also you can see how close the water is to the Bridge.

And then just for fun, here are some Ducks we thought looked hungry, so we fed them a whole bunch of crackers. The big ones were assholes too... hardly let the other ones get a chance.. We went through almost 3 bags in total to try to get all the ducks.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Another reason I love VA and NC. Looks like a nice place to visit for a hour or until I got cold.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
hmm... which would i rather? a river loaded with ice, or a river loaded with barges carrying toxic shit

i think i'll keep the barges:D

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
WTF is all that white crap on the ground? it looks cold glad im not there

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
One of my GFs was in the Eberhard Center on Saturday looking down on the Grand River. Eberhard is just a little down river of where you took those pictures, just a block down from the Gerald R. Ford museum; it's that great big FUGLY brick thing that's like 11 stories high, right next to Fulton, between US131 and the river.

Anyhoo, she was on the 6th floor, and she said she could see the ice damming up under the bridges, particularly under the footbridge linking Eberhard and downtown, and also under the Fulton St. Bridge. So many people are in danger of their homes being flooded. I'm worried about this next storm system moving through. Heck, the one that rammed through last night was bad enough! Imagine when all of this crap melts if the temperature rises and it rains a couple inches.

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of my GFs was in the Eberhard Center on Saturday looking down on the Grand River. Eberhard is just a little down river of where you took those pictures, just a block down from the Gerald R. Ford museum; it's that great big FUGLY brick thing that's like 11 stories high, right next to Fulton, between US131 and the river.

Anyhoo, she was on the 6th floor, and she said she could see the ice damming up under the bridges, particularly under the footbridge linking Eberhard and downtown, and also under the Fulton St. Bridge. So many people are in danger of their homes being flooded. I'm worried about this next storm system moving through. Heck, the one that rammed through last night was bad enough! Imagine when all of this crap melts if the temperature rises and it rains a couple inches.

I know where the Eberhard Center is.

Yeah, it definently is getting progressively worse, and we have more on the way. I also heard this week it could thaw/refreeze again...

A block away from my house, there is a street called Willow Dr. which runs right along the river. The street usually floods over at least once a year, but it recedes within a day, and it's just the street/access roads, as the houses are built slightly elevated above the street and river. Now though, the water is very close to getting into the houses. I heard some people's basements have chest-deep water in them right now, and rising.

Funny part is last summer I looked very seriously at buying a house on that street, as the houses are very cheap for what they are, and flood insurance was only $560/year. I figured it would be worth it to deal with a flood once in a while. However the Ice Jams are much more serious than a simple spring flood.

Last report I heard was that Flood Stage is 12 ft, and current river level is over 15 ft.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Those pics look like the area close to the Amway Grand Hotel. Always liked staying in the old section of the hotel.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
I know where the Eberhard Center is.
Ok, just makin' sure. :D A lot of people around here, even those living closer to and in the downtown area, don't know what that nasty looking building is. I blame GVFU. lol

Yeah, it definently is getting progressively worse, and we have more on the way. I also heard this week it could thaw/refreeze again...
Great. :doh0715: Mother nature is seriously schizophrenic this year, and she's outta meds.

A block away from my house, there is a street called Willow Dr. which runs right along the river. The street usually floods over at least once a year, but it recedes within a day, and it's just the street/access roads, as the houses are built slightly elevated above the street and river. Now though, the water is very close to getting into the houses. I heard some people's basements have chest-deep water in them right now, and rising.

Funny part is last summer I looked very seriously at buying a house on that street, as the houses are very cheap for what they are, and flood insurance was only $560/year. I figured it would be worth it to deal with a flood once in a while. However the Ice Jams are much more serious than a simple spring flood.

Last report I heard was that Flood Stage is 12 ft, and current river level is over 15 ft.
I remember from years past about Willow drive and the flooding there. That's really surprising that the insurance would be so cheap, knowing it's a flood zone and all.

*sigh* It's pouring outside right now. We're screwed.

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great. :doh0715: Mother nature is seriously schizophrenic this year, and she's outta meds.

I remember from years past about Willow drive and the flooding there. That's really surprising that the insurance would be so cheap, knowing it's a flood zone and all.

*sigh* It's pouring outside right now. We're screwed.

I don't live very close to downtown... I mean, Im not far.. about 10 minutes away is all. Only go down there once in a while, but mostly stick around the Northeast side. All my restaurants theatres and stores are over here, so no need to venture much!

However I know just about all the buildings downtown and what they are for, because I used to spend hours walking around down there just for fun.

It is freakin pouring outside right now, and it is close to 40 degrees. Yet they just issued us a winter storm warning for tomorow night through Wed. for 6 or more inches of snow.

Which means all of this water and melted snow today will freeze tomorow, and get 6 more inches on top of it. Should be very interesting to see the river by Thursday or Friday. I will update this thread with new pics later this week, looks like it will be getting worse before it gets better.

MDA, I wasn't too far from the Amway. The Amway is a beautiful Hotel. Next time you are in GR, stay at the new JW Marriott Downtown, it is owned by Amway as well.

If you're ever out near the airport stay at my Courtyard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts