Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so heres my idea:
ive been thinking about how much i hate my MPG and the stock sound of my rig.
so, after searching, i came up with this setup.

Summit racing shorty headers
catco single cat. system
flowmaster 40 series (single in/dual out)
angled tail pipes exiting at rear bumper corners.

ill have a shop weld in the spots for the o2 sensors.

minus the o2 sensor stuff, the setup is costing me around $733.50!:shocked
but other than that, am i missing anything? i want this thing to be loud as hell, but id like it to pass inspection too. im not lucky enough to have connection with the local "mr. sticker"!
thanks,
ace

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
I wouldnt use summit headers they leak and you always have that nasty tapping air noise. if your looking for cheap get flow tech or MAC hell even BBK.
Summits are poorly made. IMO

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
flowtech isnt too bad on the wallet- but is it good flow? i go to school fulltime, so i dont have a bunch of csah to throw at it!
anyone else have any suggestions?
ace

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
If you just want it loude you have 2 choices for going cheap.

1. Do the headers later, Do the exhaust now.

2. Remove the muffler from the curent setup and/or put a flowmaster in it's place.

What are the laws on inspection in your area?

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont know what the emissions level is. i just called mr. sticker, and the guy didnt know anythign about the testing... dumbass...
so- im guessing if i run this setup.. itl be legal- and if its not... well f*ck.
ace

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the prices im going off of are from summit.com- if anyone knows a cheaper place... let me know.

ok- ive got another idea:
from the catco system- i run a y-pipe, and just run straight pipes to the back.
you guys think itll pass inspection with no muffler though?
im just brainstorming here... itll be a couple weeks before anything is set in stone.
ace

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
WheelinElvis said:
so heres my idea:
ive been thinking about how much i hate my MPG and the stock sound of my rig.
so, after searching, i came up with this setup.

Summit racing shorty headers
catco single cat. system
flowmaster 40 series (single in/dual out)
angled tail pipes exiting at rear bumper corners.

ill have a shop weld in the spots for the o2 sensors.

minus the o2 sensor stuff, the setup is costing me around $733.50!:shocked
but other than that, am i missing anything? i want this thing to be loud as hell, but id like it to pass inspection too. im not lucky enough to have connection with the local "mr. sticker"!
thanks,
ace

WheelinElvis

I've done your described system

and it didn't cost anywhere near $733.00 !!!!!!!!! That's making Bassani seem affordable.

If I had to do it again, I'd do like Gackner suggests and forget the shorties and do the exhaust properly first.

Get the Catco dual Y-pipe into cat, like Streetgang pioneered and then do what you like for the muffler and tailpipes (dunno about rear exit though, lotta fumes will be comin' in).

You'll probably save $400.00 + this way and still get the results you want.

Sixlitre

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well- my local muffler shop quoted me at 381.64 for flowmaster 40series including the new tubing around the tank and the tailpipes.

i want a mean sound, but i also want good mileage- thats why i wanted to drop in the headers.

so what yall are saying is:
catco system into the muffler of my choice with some tailpipes?
summit racing has the catco system at 206.69- anyone know of a cheaper place?
ace

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Since you are on a budget (like I was), I would suggest getting the Catco y-pipe , then order the Flowmaster and just get a stock tailpipe. With that, you can easily install it yourself, saving $$ and it will help with mpg's. I have that same setup and I get 17+ on the highway. Here is a link to the Catco y-pipe, it is a little more than you found at $228, but it is free shipping: Click

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Go to the testing place and ask if you need a mufler.

In Ga. no muffler is required. A muffler is not emmisions equipment.
A ctalytic converter is required, it's an emmisions peice.

And ofcourse it has to pass the rolling blow test.

If it where me (and I did this for years) I would cut off the factory muffler, put on a single 2-Chamber Flowmaster on the pipe and put a turndown on it with a hanger to suport the other end of the muffler.

It sounds preaty good, the parts are inexpensive and you can do it yourself.

As long as thats Ok in your state, it is here.

·
Banned
268 Posts
i'm doing the exact same thing, only with hedman headers and the magnaflow cat. i actually had a catco arrive here, but sent it back due to quality issues. it looked better than stock, but just barely.

pm me if you want more info.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
topfisherman said:
Since you are on a budget (like I was), I would suggest getting the Catco y-pipe , then order the Flowmaster and just get a stock tailpipe. With that, you can easily install it yourself, saving $$ and it will help with mpg's. I have that same setup and I get 17+ on the highway. Here is a link to the Catco y-pipe, it is a little more than you found at $228, but it is free shipping: Click
Going with this great advice WheelinElvis

If you feel the need for a non-stock tailpipe, get the Dynomax mandrel bent 2 1/2" tailpipe, for about $42.00 from Summit;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=17333#content

The back of the catco pipe is 2 1/2" and a stock bronco 5.0 litre tailpipe is 2 1/4"

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
topfisherman said:
Here is a link to the Catco y-pipe, it is a little more than you found at $228, but it is free shipping: Click
has anyone seen a pipe like this for the 96's with 5.8? every time i think i have found something that sounds like it will work good for my bronco it's the wrong year or engine size.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I recently did what you're talking about, sans the headers. Mine is a custom 3" y-pipe into a 3" magnaflow cat, then into a 3" flowmaster single in, dual out with two 3" pipes right out the back. I love it. Quiet inside, nice mellow tone out until you clear 3000 rpm, then it really gets loud. $514.00 including tax, bent and installed by a local shop.

Next up is headers and a custom air intake/filter which will help the breathability tremendously.

~Jeff

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
drinkbrew said:
has anyone seen a pipe like this for the 96's with 5.8? every time i think i have found something that sounds like it will work good for my bronco it's the wrong year or engine size.
No I have not

For you my son it's Bassani, Bassani or Bassani I'm afraid.

Or you can do what I done

Sixlitre

·
ladies enjoy his
4,277 Posts
for the meanest most agressive low end sound that will still pass inspection i would go with a glasspack muffler...and they are really cheap too
i think 50 bucks vs. 185 for a super 40 flowmaster

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well now im getting MORE ideas!:

heres the new one:
i dont get the headers right now
i run the catco y-pipe into the cat
then a glasspack/flowmaster muffler
and then 3inch tailpipe
ill run 3 inch tubing as much as i can to open up the system.

i just want my engine to BREATHE! im going to run a snorkel once i come up with a good-looking plan for one.

i could probably have this stuff installed for free at a friend's family owned shop. so that would save me alot of cash.
i need to find a site that has the emissions standards for texas... any suggestions? ive been looking- but no dice.
ace

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Sixlitre said:
No I have not

For you my son it's Bassani, Bassani or Bassani I'm afraid.

Or you can do what I done

Sixlitre
except i live in California and the bassani's say "Legal in California only for racing vehicles which may never be used upon a highway."

So it looks like i will have to find a shop for a local shop and go the custom route

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Anybody try the "Summit Performance Turbo Mufflers?" They are $15 for a 2 1/2" muffler. (Part #SUM-630125)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts