Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am new in this bronco business and have been wanting to buy either a 78-79 for about a month now. I found a 78, with 351, but I couldn't identify whether it is Windsor, or Modified? I looked at a 79 bronco with a 351M in it and the dipstick was on the Drivers side of the motor. This 78 I looked at, the dipstick was on the passengers side? Could anybody help me out in identifying this motor.
thanks,
jerry

·
Registered
326 Posts
jjcard41 said:
Hello everyone. I am new in this bronco business and have been wanting to buy either a 78-79 for about a month now. I found a 78, with 351, but I couldn't identify whether it is Windsor, or Modified? I looked at a 79 bronco with a 351M in it and the dipstick was on the Drivers side of the motor. This 78 I looked at, the dipstick was on the passengers side? Could anybody help me out in identifying this motor.
thanks,
jerry
Unless I am mistaken, 78-78 were 400 or 351M only. The 351W came later. If you are sure it is a 351 and it has not been swapped it is a 351m

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,917 Posts
bmboll said:
Unless I am mistaken, 78-78 were 400 or 351M only. The 351W came later.
Correct, but some people have swapped in Windsors for whatever reason.

The quickest way is to count the valve cover bolts. The 351W has 6, the 351M/400 has 8. Also you can check the water neck, if it's a 351W it goes down into the manifold, if it's a 351M/400 it goes into the block.

·
Registered
316 Posts
turn it on and make a donut, if it makes a dustorm, no oil leaks, and no smoke, buy it man!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Some 351M/400 engines have the dipstick near the front cover on the passenger side rather than the driver side oilpan. I think these were for non-4x4 applications.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mels knows best, count the valve cover bolts. After that you'll have to check #'s to find the difference of the 351 or 400.....Unless you tear it apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts