Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Identify that sound, with video

Been hearing a loud ass slapping sound every once in a while on start up. Goes away after you drive for a few blocks but it's loud and has me worried. Any ideas cause every time I take it to my mechanic, it never wants to happen.
http://youtu.be/rU90NjHW7ik

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seattle is most likely right - look for the scuff/wear marks where the fan is touching the shroud. If you like to live dangerously, you can try to push/pull/wiggle your front nose clip while the engine is running. For legal purposes I strongly recommend you don't do this and accept no liability for any injuries - however I have seen bad body or radiator mounts allow the nose/shroud to wiggle causing intermittent contact with the fan.

If you can't find any evidence there, and you have a manual transmission, it could be your clutch/throwout bearing. When the bearing starts to go it can make an odd cyclical sound like a unbalanced washing machine on start-up and then go quiet once it settles back to center.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, E4OD here. I wish it was a 5 speed.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
disconnect the engine belts and run the engine to see if the noise is there still.

The way it sounds form the video it is not a well developed pattern.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
other option is run it, let it develop to where it is either louder or something breaks. Broken stuff is a lot easier to track down than running stuff.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you mean by wll developed?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Another words drive it. It will get worse and easier to find, more so when it breaks.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another words drive it. It will get worse and easier to find, more so when it breaks.
THis will probably be what I do cause the fan shroud isnt the problem.

·
Registered
504 Posts
pull the belt and thoroughly check both sides of it for any damage. while its off to wiggle checks on every accessory on your engine. also get at a good angle and watch all the pulleys for a few seconds each. see if you can observe anything moving. the sound reminds me of an f350 i worked on that had lost one of the splines on the belt and a piece of it was smacking stuff on its way around the engine. also just for grins pull the access cover at the bottom of the front of the transmission and check so make sure your torque converter is fully bolted to the flex plate all the way around. engine off just rotate it by hand to check all four studs. oh and another just for grins while the belt is off check the crank for endplay. just grab the harmonic balancer pulley and push to the back then pull to the front. it shouldn't move any that you can see or feel.
best of luck, report back with findings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts