Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,900 Posts
That is your charcoal filter for your emissions control system. Most of us just do away with it.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,146 Posts
As mentioned above, it's you charcoal canister filter. The purpose is to filter the vented vapor from your gas tank. Some folks remove them, but if you do, you'll notice a stronger gas smell coming from under the hood whenever it's venting. If you're in an area where emissions are required you'll want to keep it.

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Yo Aggie,
As klh and LTC Bill Kilgore advised;

Section 03-13: Evaporative Emissions
1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco Workshop Manual​
DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION
Evaporative Emission Control System
As a part of the fuel system, vehicles are equipped with a fuel evaporative emission control system designed to meet federal and state requirements in effect at the time of production.
WARNING: THE EVAPORATIVE EMISSIONS SYSTEM CONTAINS FUEL VAPOR AND CONDENSED FUEL VAPOR. ALTHOUGH NOT PRESENT IN LARGE QUANTITIES, IT STILL PRESENTS THE DANGER OF EXPLOSION OR FIRE. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY GROUND CABLE (14301) FROM THE BATTERY TO MINIMIZE THE POSSIBILITY OF AN ELECTRICAL SPARK OCCURRING, POSSIBLY CAUSING A FIRE OR EXPLOSION IF FUEL VAPOR OR LIQUID FUEL ARE PRESENT IN THE AREA.
CAUTION: Fuel supply tubes on vehicles with fuel injected engines (6007) will remain pressurized for long periods of time after engine shutdown. The pressure must be relieved before servicing the fuel system. Refer to Fuel System Pressure Relief. For servicing information on fuel tubes, refer to Section 10-01A.

Evaporative emissions systems have been designed and tested to exceed 193,080 km (120,000 miles) or 10 years of vehicle use. No maintenance or service should be required. However, if components have been damaged and need to be replaced, or there is a need to remove and reinstall or disconnect components for other reasons, such as diagnosis, refer to the procedures and illustrations in this section to aid in servicing the system.
Evaporative emission systems are shown in the illustrations. Refer to these illustrations for component location and installation instructions.
Use Ford-approved parts for replacement of fuel and vapor hoses and tubes. Original equipment components are designed to resist most environmental conditions encountered in the evaporative emission system.

·
Registered
1984 Bronco, 4.9L, C6, 9", 44 TTB, 3.54 Gears
431 Posts
The PO of my 84' Bronco cut that rubber line, and plugged one of the vacuum lines on that canister. I tossed it. I dropped the gas tank this weekend, and I'm re-routing the vapor hose up to the filler neck tube so it can still vent, but it isn't doing so directly by the battery and manifolds.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,324 Posts
The PO of my 84' Bronco cut that rubber line, and plugged one of the vacuum lines on that canister. I tossed it. I dropped the gas tank this weekend, and I'm re-routing the vapor hose up to the filler neck tube so it can still vent, but it isn't doing so directly by the battery and manifolds.
Where’s your sense of adventure? Gas fumes next to hot and or sparking parts can be a real show!! As long as there not yours!! :ROFLMAO:
good idea on running the line to the filler neck mines on top of the frame rail halfway back.

Reactions: Flesh Eater

·
Registered
1984 Bronco, 4.9L, C6, 9", 44 TTB, 3.54 Gears
431 Posts
Where’s your sense of adventure? Gas fumes next to hot and or sparking parts can be a real show!! As long as there not yours!! :ROFLMAO:
good idea on running the line to the filler neck mines on top of the frame rail halfway back.
I've dropped both tanks in my Chevys over the past year due to the top of the fuel pumps rusting apart. Both of those ran the breathers up the filler neck, so I can't take credit for the ingenuity. :)

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
That is your charcoal filter for your emissions control system. Most of us just do away with it.
Why the **** would you? It handles vapors from the gas tank, the system is stupid simple and keeps the truck from smelling like gas fumes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.