Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I finally can do some miles, some problems occur:

1. idle - the car idles but stalls at some point, these even happens during driving, when falling to idle...
—> replaced all vacuum lines, have no smog relevant stuff, just
Brake booster to carb
Intake manifold to c6
Carb to carburetor advance

here‘s a video of it, 5 seconds after I stopped the video it stalled.
Did this again 5 minutes later after I startet it.

look at the black smoke and dirt...

2. during driving the engine seems ok, however from my pov it seems quite turdy, not really strong
When I drive uphill the engine does barely keep the rev from when the hill starts and slowly rev falls.
It’s doing 20-25 km/h ~ 12-18 mph

fuel filter is new, however I will replace it again as I put in 12 gallons of gas and maybe washed out old stuff from inside tank.

Installed a 3G alternator yesterday, first I thought it’s connected to taking out voltage regulator and part of old alternator spliced loom, but it’s not:
Idle voltage: 13,5-13,7V
Slight more rev: 14,2-14,4V
So it’s charging and bringing power

Looking forward to ideas..
I think it’s connected and so it may not be worn out Bands in C6 or a bad converter.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Not too sure about the black smoke, how old is the gas? How long has it been since you've ran it. Mine will seep oil if i leave it sitting too long so it burns a bit of oil on initial startup but stops after a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put in 12-13 gallons of fresh gas, and around another 5-8 during last weeks.

got this black smoke since I have it, but as it was rebuild it did not drive yet

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you test your fuel pump? Mine died going uphill and it turned out the fuel pump was on its way out

not yet... it’s looking as been recently redone.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still mechanic

thinking to switch and as well to get a sniper efi

but I would like to have it all set and running correctly before spending 1200$

·
Registered
549 Posts
Mine is electric so can't really help you there @miesk5 ; probably has more info on mechanical pumps and diagnosing your issue

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not too sure about the black smoke, how old is the gas? How long has it been since you've ran it. Mine will seep oil if i leave it sitting too long so it burns a bit of oil on initial startup but stops after a bit

I put in 12-13 gallons of fresh gas, and around another 5-8 during last weeks.

got this black smoke since I have it, but as it was rebuild it did not drive yet
I would start with checking that all the cylinders are firing. More than one way to do this. I would pull a plug wire off the distributer as it’s idling and if it still runs the same you know that cylinder is good. Be carful of shock
If you have an temperature laser gun you can see if there is a cold spot on the headers to find the bad cylinder

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I fueled it up for the first time with more than 10 Liter my guessing goes to either pickup tube clogged or new filter clogged.
Ignition should be good, we tested this basically a month ago and all plugs had spark

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So...
look at the pickup or better the rest of it.
I guess this is the reason for not enough fuel.

What pickup of a never Bronco does fit incl. fuel pump in tank?

i want to upgrade to an electric pump and Return line directly.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
174 Posts
I'm not positive, but I thought you could just buy the tank and pump etc. from a newer FI Bronco if you wanted to go that way. You'll need to figure out a fuel regulator etc.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

the black smoke may come from burnt TAR..... even I changed the filter, the last 5 liters of fuel we got out of the tank were orange/brown/grey - so most probably all the shit whashed into fuel.
Hopefully it burns completly in the engine and does not kill sealings and such.

·
Registered
549 Posts
So...
look at the pickup or better the rest of it.
I guess this is the reason for not enough fuel.

What pickup of a never Bronco does fit incl. fuel pump in tank?

i want to upgrade to an electric pump and Return line directly.

View attachment 161838
View attachment 161838
Yup thats about what my fuel sending unit looked like, hows the fuel tank looking on the inside?

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
a lot of TAR inside. this is where my black smoke comes from.... not overfueling or something, just burning TAR, hopefully bearings/oil and such are not damaged or clogged inside engine

Was at a tank cleaning guy yesterday, he asks 700€ ~ 785 USD to do cleaning with glass blasting, aceton cleaning, new inside coating and powerder coat outside.
I told him that I don't want to put it in a musuem or win prices with my tank. but he sticks to his price.

On friday I will drive 3 hours to a friend, who has his 78 Bronco (firstly registred on FORD GERMANY) since 11 years. his PO welded an aluminium tank, so he got the stock 33 gallon tank stored since he has the car.
I will use this one then.
Maybe I will have it running today from fresh fuel from a can.,... just in idle for 20 minutes to get the shit out of the lines.

·
Registered
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.0
50 Posts
Wow, man. That was some ugly gas. Once you have good clean fuel system, you be in a better position to tune it.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
I'm not positive, but I thought you could just buy the tank and pump etc. from a newer FI Bronco if you wanted to go that way. You'll need to figure out a fuel regulator etc.
I know @simrokkzz has a replacement tank figured out now, but will testify for anyone else curious about this:
The newer generation tanks do fit!

I have a tank and pump for a 96 Bronco in my 78. The filler neck is not the same though... the 96 does not have the smaller breather tube beside the main tube. I used the filler neck from a donor pickup truck, and some big fuel line from an excavator parts distributer to mate with the new tank. I'm sure that a later gen Bronco filler neck would fit better.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
174 Posts
I know @simrokkzz has a replacement tank figured out now, but will testify for anyone else curious about this:
The newer generation tanks do fit!

I have a tank and pump for a 96 Bronco in my 78. The filler neck is not the same though... the 96 does not have the smaller breather tube beside the main tube. I used the filler neck from a donor pickup truck, and some big fuel line from an excavator parts distributor to mate with the new tank. I'm sure that a later gen Bronco filler neck would fit better.
Good to hear. I was thinking of eventually switching to a Holley Sniper and figured I'd grab the fuel system from a newer Bronco to supply it so parts were easier to get and factory instead of more hard to source aftermarket stuff.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good to hear. I was thinking of eventually switching to a Holley Sniper and figured I'd grab the fuel system from a newer Bronco to supply it so parts were easier to get and factory instead of more hard to source aftermarket stuff.
That is a good idea, I think of opting for the same, but as I was in a rush over weekend, I ordered a stock 33 gallon sender unit, which may not fit the newer tanks.

If I had more time, I would go for a plastic tank, external pump with new lines, and use the "original feeding line" as return line. I will put in a fitting for a return connection to the new sender unit, just to be prepared for an electronic fuel pump.

had the car run out a can yesterday, still some black smoke and had to raise idle slighly otherwise it stalls all the time.
The smoke is less for sure and the car sounds different, more "powerish" from my perspective.

Lets see saturday when I install the new "used" tank then.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts