Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did do a search for this and came up empty handed. Does anybody have any tips on adjusting the idle mixture screws on a 4180(the ones behind plugs on the throttle plate) with it on the truck? I have a bunch of vacuum lines and it is at an odd angle and i have tried a couple of different approaches with the truck so i imagine it would be even more difficult with it running. But any help would be appreciated.

thanks guys,
charles

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i adusted the idle with the idle screw on the linkage and on the fast idle cam on the choke. When i tried to reach into the idle mixture screws i just couldn't get anything in amongst all of the vacuum lines and the such. i had to turn it off b/c the oil leaking out of the passenger side valve cover is getting on the exhaust and making me choke while im under the hood. but after it warmed up i noticed the choke wasn't open all the way so i replaced that orange locking gasket with a regular gasket from the rebuild kit and turned it so that the choke was fully opened. after it cooled i went and looked at it and had fully closed so i think i have the choke set pretty well. but, before i went any further i just wanted to check the idle mixture.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
1 1/2 turns is a good starting point. Leave it there for now because I think you will find your motor will no longer be running rich. If you get hold of a good tach, then you can fine tune it.
If you have a good ear, you can adjust it yourself. Turn the idle down until it barely runs (when at operating temp) and then start adjusting the idle mixture screw the way I suggested.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks guys, yeah i just bought a tach yesterday so if it isn't snowing too hard i might go out and hook it up and see where i am running at.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts