Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 89eb 5.8 c6. 89k 33in no lift.

i have searched and found out i need more help.

on monday i went through a half tank of gas to and from work its about 45 miles round trip. i am used to going through a little less the a 1/4 tank on avg. i notice it was not holding a idle while stoped at lights going betwee 350-1200 rpms. also was starting to stall out, and did when reversing.

talked with my Mechanic told me it most likley was the idle air valve (he did own a 93 5.8) checked the forums against this and confirmed, and replaced Idle Air Vale.

Truck still had the same problem. talked with mechanic we both check on what else. found on FSB also could be the Idle control sensor underneth the throtle body. i have now replace this also.

still having the same problem.

we have check all the vacume lines and spark wires everything there is fine. all clynders are firing correctly, and truck has been mantained very well its whole life it was my grandfathers from new before he died and i took it over last year with 76k. always changing the fluids and fixing problems imeditly.

can figure this out, Any help anyone?

Thanks a lot guys

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,217 Posts
Boy thats a lot of gas! Well I would say pull codes first then see what shows up. If I was to guess, I would say ECT (engine coolant temp sensor). I could be far off but if it shows up as one of your codes then replace it. What happens when these go out is that they start telling your computer to start dumping gas because they think that your engine is super cold all the time and never warms up. I had this problem once and went through 5 gals in matter of a few miles. Hope this helps but pull codes first.
Could be TPS too.

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
check your fuel lines for kinks, crack and rust and replace your fuel filter.

have someone check your timing also.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
The 'sensor' under neath your throttle body is your throttle position sensor.

Pull codes before throwing parts at it. Your mechanic should have tried diagnosing, usually mechanics do that.

Pulling codes most likely will tell you exactly what's wrong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks so far guys , waiting for my buddy to get here with the code puller. i will update what was found.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
thanks so far guys , waiting for my buddy to get here with the code puller. i will update what was found.
You can pull codes with a paper clip, search for pulling codes. Steve83 and Fireguy50 both have writeups on how to do it. Not that it matters now, but it may come in handy later on.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I prefer to test it with two wires, a lemon, and a hotdog.

><

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had problems with my 98 bko going through "surges" at idle. When I replaced my (very dirty) air filter, I bought some Throttlebody cleaner, and MAF sensor cleaner. That seemed to help alot with the "surges" and rough idling.

Just my .02

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I had problems with my 98 bko going through "surges" at idle. When I replaced my (very dirty) air filter, I bought some Throttlebody cleaner, and MAF sensor cleaner. That seemed to help alot with the "surges" and rough idling.

Just my .02
98 Bronco? Excellent! :toothless

His 89 would be SD, so no mass air meter. On a MAF truck, yeah, that'd definitely make a difference if the MAF was dirty.

Nice sig quote :thumbup

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oops! Typo..........96**
And just sharing my experiences and what worked for me. Didn't know that '89s don't have MAF. Something new commited to knowledge. :thumbup

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Oops! Typo..........96**
And just sharing my experiences and what worked for me. Didn't know that '89s don't have MAF. Something new commited to knowledge. :thumbup
Yep, it was 94+ that trucks may have come as mass air/SEFI, depending on location, and motor. By 96, all trucks were MAF, as well as OBD-II.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts