Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bronco sounds amazing, but it's idling way too high, & running too rich. I don't know dick about carbs. When I step on it I could get high off the fumes it's so bad.
If I got it to run a little leaner, could that help my gas mileage??
What about new gears?
Recently did an oil change, didn't help at all.
& tire pressures good.

Is my bronco like a hot dude with a douche attitude? Am I stuck with the crap mileage?
If I am, I don't care. She's fun to ride & to look at.

It's an edelbrock 1406.

Any carb gurus in Alaska wana help me out?

·
Registered
208 Posts
There are two fuel mixture screws on the front of the carb that sets the air fuel mixture, maybe why it is running rich, it is best to set it with a vacuum gage off the manifold to get the must vacuum.
Also there is a screw on the throttle that you can set to bring the idle down if you choke is wide open. If your choke is not opening that may be your entire problem.

Not being able to look at it, it is hard to diagnose. It might be best to get a book and read the directions.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Do make sure that you do not have any vacuum leaks.
In many cases, the idle is set high to try to compensate for a vacuum leak which results in an engine that will not idle normally.
Increasing the idle, causes the engine to often run on the intermediate circuit, or even the main circuit.
This will cause a terribly rich mixture, and you may try to lean the thing out, by turning the idle mixture screws in, only to find that you can close them all the way, and nothing really changes.
Start by looking into the vacuum leak issue, and then work the carb until it is adjusted correctly.
many sources on the internet can be helpful for carb tuning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts