Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be taking out the 2nd cat and muffler and running straight pipe from the first cat

Legal or no?

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Federal law says you can't tamper with emissions equipment on on-road vehicles, but its not likely you would get in trouble for the federal law. State and county laws could add to this, or not care, depends on where you are.

But to answer your question, it is technically illegal to take off ANY emissions equipment on a vehicle used on public roads

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,407 Posts
Our cats are actually different than each other. A single cat has 3 tasks that it does, while ours handle 2 tasks in one cat & the 3rd task in the other. So removing one makes it incomplete. Pic of a baldly plugged cat for reference below.

:toothless

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
Our cats are actually different than each other. A single cat has 3 tasks that it does, while ours handle 2 tasks in one cat & the 3rd task in the other. So removing one makes it incomplete. Pic of a baldly plugged cat for reference below.

:toothless
Damn thats a big puter!

·
Registered
391 Posts
the way I always read it was, you can only remove a non functional cat. most aftermarket setups are legal 1 cat if you removed your non functional stuff. not sure about leaving 1 factory cat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys I have a 96 bronco which is he first year to have 2 O2 sensors. One before the cat and one behind. I am told that if I take my cat out the sensors will be out of whack and my mileage will go way down and will not run right. Is this correct and does anybody know of any highflow cats that will fit my rig. I put a flowmaster single muffler on it and it is a disgrace to the bronco world. It sounds horrible. thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I'm pretty sure in most states its illegal to date animals, but hey if thats your thing then take each one out and see which you "click" with the best. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Guys I have a 96 bronco which is he first year to have 2 O2 sensors. One before the cat and one behind. I am told that if I take my cat out the sensors will be out of whack and my mileage will go way down and will not run right. Is this correct and does anybody know of any highflow cats that will fit my rig. I put a flowmaster single muffler on it and it is a disgrace to the bronco world. It sounds horrible. thanks for your help.
Any high flow cat will fit it as long as it matches the ID/OD of the rest of your exhaust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So what do I do about the O2 sensors? Leave 1 in front of the new high flow cat and leave 1 behind it? I know they make replacement high flow cats but I wanted to know if there was any direct replacements for my rig with the ports welded in for the sensors?

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
The 96 302 is kind of a bastard child when it comes to bolt in exhaust solutions. I'm sure you can find a stock replacement, but I haven't seen anything aftermarket that won't need some bungs welded in.

What I did was have them lop off the second cat, weld in a piece of steel tube and replace the first cat with a new high flow cat.

·
Man of endless projects
9,492 Posts
the 2nd O2 i htink it jsut to tell the comp that the cat is working right and doesnt control anything else. i may be wrong tho. but you you straight pipe it, just drill a hole and weld a bung for the O2 sensor and you dont have to worry bout it. id have to look ta my 96 in the morn to see how its exhaust is

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
yo,
Walker, who was and prob still is Ford' OEM foe mufflers, pipes and cats has this;
Replaces Both Front & Rear OE Converters; Not legal for sale on vehicles licensed in the state of California.; Replaces multiple O.E. Converters. Only failed Converters may be replaced. See Catalytic Converter Installation Guide.; Fed. & Calif. Emiss. Models.

Inlet Quantity 1
Inlet Inner Diameter 2 1/2"
Outlet Quantity 1
Outlet Inner Diameter 2 1/2"
Overall Length 18"
Catalytic Converter Type 2 Way/3 Way/3 Way + Air
Body Type Large Oval
Feature and Benefit Walker® Standard Catalytic Converters, available for Pre-OBD (1995 and older) vehicles are engineered with durable stainless steel bodies. Walker® Catalytic Converters, an industry leader for import and domestic applications, meet EPA emission requirements, and have a 25,000-mile catalytic performance warranty, in addition to a 5-year/50,000-mile structural integrity warranty.
Designed for use on Pre-OBDII vehicles. (1995 and older)
Stainless steel body, heat-shielded pipe and structural brace for enhanced strength and durability.
Meet EPA emission requirements

Some Sources are;
JEGS $124.99
Dynomax 15142 - Walker Super Converter
The engineers at Dynomax got these units to flow much better than a stock catalytic converter by doing several trick things. First they increased the flow area over OE converters by 26%, then they made absolutely sure that it flowed extremely free, then wrapped it in a stainless steel single tube mono shell. The large body design is great for up to 455'' engines. The single tube design eliminates all the welds common with OE designs and assures leak-proof operation for greater efficiency. All this means Dynomax converters outflow OE by one third!

Note: These catalytic converters are no longer legal for sale in the state of California and will not be shipped to the state of California.

Summit $124.95
RockAuto.com $130.99
Adapters may be needed

AMAZON @ $162.85

Some use Catco
CATCO® 3903 Installation in a 94 5.0
Source: by sewiv (Sandy) at FSB

Three Way + Oxidation Catalytic Converter (TWC+OC): (formerly TWC & COC) A catalytic converter system that has both Three Way Catalyst (TWC) and Oxidation Catalyst (OC). Usually secondary air is introduced between the two catalysts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the ad posted by Miesk5 just above mine it says several times that this fits a pre OBD II 95 and older, mine is a 96 which is different. Anymore info?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
the 2nd O2 i think it just to tell the comp that the cat is working right and doesn't control anything else. i may be wrong tho.
you are correct sir. :thumbup

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
In the ad posted by Miesk5 just above mine it says several times that this fits a pre OBD II 95 and older, mine is a 96 which is different. Anymore info?
yo SLICK,
Here ya go;
WALKER
1996 - Ford Bronco 5.8 Liter V8Front Ultra Universal 93322

Rear Ultra Universal 93238

w/ Federal Emissions; Not legal for sale on vehicles licensed in the state of California. Front and Rear Standard Direct Fit 16365
-------

Last Updated 11-01-2011
Inlet Quantity 2
Inlet Configuration 2 Bolt Loose Flanges
Outlet Quantity 1
Outlet Outer Diameter 2 1/4"
Overall Length 69 1/2"
Catalytic Converter Type 3-Way
Body Type Front Oval& Middle Round
Location Front& Middle
Feature and Benefit Walker® Standard Catalytic Converters, available for Pre-OBD (1995 and older) vehicles are engineered with durable stainless steel bodies. Walker® Catalytic Converters, an industry leader for import and domestic applications, meet EPA emission requirements, and have a 25,000-mile catalytic performance warranty, in addition to a 5-year/50,000-mile structural integrity warranty.
Stainless steel body, heat-shielded pipe and structural brace for enhanced strength and durability.
Meet EPA emission requirement

SOURCES:
WALKER Part # 16365 www.rockauto.com $428.79

http://www.amazon.com/Walker-Catalytic-Converter-16365-New/dp/B001FMJ634 $444.91

http://autoshepherd.com/product/Exhaust-Converter/432/WAL/16365 $426.86

·
Registered
199 Posts
If I have two cats, is it still illegal to just take out 1?
Well, it might be illegal in your county to kill a cat. However, I don't like cats anyway...so go ahead and take it out. Hell, don't just stop at one! Make sure to bury the evidence in someone elses backyard;)

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
The only difference between OBD I and II are the bungs for the oxygen sensors. Any competent exhaust shop can weld one in for you for not much money.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts