Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take the electric shift motor off of my transfer case on my 89 bko with warn locking hub's and manually put it into 4 hi..It would be ready for 4 wheel drive at the point of locking the hub's yes?I have taken the motor apart and cleaned it but it still is disabled..So can i go this route?Without any harm to my case or tranny?Just do not have the cash at this point to replace the electric motor..

Thanx!

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
as long as you get it engaged it doesn't really matter how .... I don't think

the electric is just the actuation .. if you do it with a screwdriver t won't matter .. it just engages it

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what i was thinking but is it ok to leave the case in 4 hi all the time?I do not see why not..

Thanx for the reply's!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lookinfurfun said:
If you are asking if you can leave it in 4 hi all the time, as in on dry pavement:twak :twak :twak
I thought it would only be in 4-wheel hi as long as the wheel's were locked.So even if the hub's are not locked it would still be in 4-wheel hi?

·
Registered
316 Posts
you t-case is still spinnging through the front differential, im not sure if its automatically a lower gearing but it would deffinately not be good to drive in four high all the time,,
if you have manual locking hubs you have to get out to lock them anyway, why not crawl under with a pair of plier and shift your t-case!
just buy a new shifter servo motor, you will be much happier.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
4hi does not equal lower gear ratio. if you leave it in 4 hi, expect accelerated drivetrain wear and lower gas mileagebecause your front diff will be spinning a lot more. also, expect some vibration on the pavement. either get a new motor or crawl under there before/after and shift it. you have to get out to lock your hubs anyway.

don't get lazy, thats when you break shit.

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
People will leave their hubs locked all winter...and then shift their tcase when needed, but not the other way around. Like others said, I wouldn't leave it in 4hi all the time.

Have you looked through the junk yards...?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is working now....Not sure why but it is..I took it down the road was doing bout 35 hit the button and light came on!!Got out locked the hub's put it in 4-lo and she kicked in, 2nd light lit up on the cluster!!Not sure why it did'nt work the first few time's i tried but it is working now! Ok so i can leave my hub's locked?Any reason why i can't??

Thanx for all your help and input on this guy's!!

·
College User
2,013 Posts
Just so you know the light can be on and it will not be engaged, and the light off and you are engaged. Shifting at 35mph I dont think helps the problem either.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gobucs1 said:
Just so you know the light can be on and it will not be engaged, and the light off and you are engaged. Shifting at 35mph I dont think helps the problem either.
It engaged because i felt it..You can really feel it when it go's into 4-lo and hear it as well..On the visor it has the instructions it say's to shift into 4-hi anytime while driving if need be should i not do this?Is it harmfull in some way?

Thanx for the help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts