Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace an ailing 1990 Toyota Corolla that my youngest son drives. Thought about a Ford Ranger but I keep getting drawn back to the Bronco. What model year/options would you look for and why? While I would like to get one with a driver airbag, I am not sure this is a hard requirement. Help me out, I am a Ford fan but a Bronco novice.

Merry Christmas

Todd :santa

·
OOPS GIVE A DAMN IS BROKE
8,922 Posts
ok well there are several things the 78-79 years of broncos have solid front axles, from 80 up they have the ttb.. also the iirc the 80-84 frames are weak in the front. so that is all i can think of off hand. i am sure the others will chime in. also look around in the 78-79 forums and 80-96 forums

·
Super Moderator
25,791 Posts

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
You don't realy say how old he is and don't wanna offend, but I'm using the term kid genericly (as in your kid)... For a kid I'd suggest looking for as new a one as you can find..'95 or '96. Look around for one low miles and taken care of well and it may save you from a 3AM trip to come get him one night (dependability). They have air bags and if he takes care of it can drive it quite a few years. He/you can do a few simple, fairly cheap mods to help improve gas milage. The biggest thing will prolly be, that he has a place like this to come to for tech help if any thing ever go wrong...tons of knowledge around this place...Good luck! :thumup

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
My bronco was my first car. I think airbags are a great idea for any teenage driver. Not to mention just driving in a bronco makes me feel very safe because I know little can totally crush me. My dad would only let me get the newest/best shape bronco we could possably find. We got a 96 in great shape I havent had any major problems with it and dont expect to which is nice because other friends of mine with older jeeps and gmc's always have problems. The only problems I have had are just my O2 sensors going out but that wasnt a big deal. If/when you get the bronco post pics of it! hope this helps :thumbup

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
safety, dependability, mileage, insurance costs, and interest are things i would consider for my kid. does your kid have automotive interest? will he want to upgrade, lift, etc etc to his car/truck? if so, then the bronco would be a pretty good choice. im more of a 78/79 guy, so i dont know the exact model changes of the later years, but something in good shape 92-96 would be my range. they can go from anywhere from $2k to $10k. Beign winter and you are in the north, they are more expensive now, so if you can wait a couple months, they price will come down some.

now, if your kid doesnt care what he drives and hes not going to be modify the thing, i would get a ranger. not to say the ranger isnt nice, i think it is, but you can get a practically new 2wd ranger for the same price as a 92-96 bronco. you could get one for the same price, it would be 4-8 years newer, have the same or less miles as a bronco, and get about TWICE the gas mileage you could ever dream of in the bronco. or get the ranger for a year, and then sell it and help him get something that interests him.

so yeah, i would get the ranger.....no offence.

·
Banned
482 Posts
If you had to buy a bronco

1994-96 broncos came with driver side airbags. I personally would chose a bronco over a ranger any day. I've never been a real big fan of mini trucks or SUVs. I personally think they are a waste. Most of them are about 25% smaller than a fullsize truck but sure as hell don't get 25% better fuel milage than a fullsize truck. I see you live in Ohio and I'm sure that most broncos around there are rustier than most rangers. A bronco would definentily turn more heads than a ranger. A ranger would be easier to come across than a bronco.

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
Man what a decision to make!! :banghead :banghead

If he likes working on vehicles or doesn't have the know how and wants to learn find him something that may need a little work or fixing up. The knowledge he will gain will help him down the road. If he doesn't care about all that and just wants a vehicle then find him a 95-96, low miles and in great shape.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Todd Vikan said:
Looking to replace an ailing 1990 Toyota Corolla that my youngest son drives. Thought about a Ford Ranger but I keep getting drawn back to the Bronco. What model year/options would you look for and why? While I would like to get one with a driver airbag, I am not sure this is a hard requirement. Help me out, I am a Ford fan but a Bronco novice.

Merry Christmas

Todd :santa
Buy mine.

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10524

Where in OH are you? I'm in Indy, I'll meet you half way if you want to check it out. It is now on 33's so it's much more streetable than in the pictures.

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike

Nice truck. Still a little ways out from the purchase...need to recover from Christmas as well as do my homework to figure out what I really want.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Merry Christmas

Todd

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Nobody has to buy their first Bronco, that one is bought by choice. It's the second, third, and fourth that are bought due to addiction. :toothless

1 - 13 of 13 Posts