Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a vibration the other day, pulled my d/s tonight and found the problem. Inside the carden joint in between the two u-joints theres a ball and socket like flange, on the rear of the ball there looks like a bushing? See that little round chewed up piece of metal in the pics? That's the part that's broke. What is it called and what is the purpose of it? I know the driveshaft for my bronk is 85-86 specific, so can I get this part off any 80's F- trucks? Thanks

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
You be safer getting a DC joint rebuild kit from a driveshaft shop(or similar shop, you know a place where they actually know their shit).

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
:stupid They are rebuildable...Just gotta get the kit and have the patience

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
massbronco said:
napa sells the kit. ive seen the part # on here. maybe a search will be helpful
found it:thumbup http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30637&highlight=center+ball+part
pic from thread

im writing this info down as i think my center ball is on its way out
WERD thanks for the link. That's what I was looking for, I'm pretty sure NAPA is gonna have to order that. I've had this apart before, and there was no spring at all iirc. I'm gonna try to fix w/ junkyard parts at work tomorrow, if that don't work I'll buy the kit. :thumbup

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just buy the kit...if Napa doesn't have one in stock I am sure another part store will. I have rebuilt them before and everytime I short cutted it I was sorry a few days later.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
BigBroncoXLT said:
:stupid They are rebuildable...Just gotta get the kit and have the patience

I have done the job once or twice......I have also taken my entire rear drive shaft, DC joint and all down to the drive-line shop and had all the U-joints and DC replaced, they balanced it and painted it for like $75.00.....it looked like brand new when I picked it up. So it all depends on how much lift time I can score at the shop, and how ambitious I am feeling at the time.
The biggest PIA about the whole DC joint deal is keeping all the needles for the bearing in the cup.

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Streetgang said:
I have done the job once or twice......I have also taken my entire rear drive shaft, DC joint and all down to the drive-line shop and had all the U-joints and DC replaced, they balanced it and painted it for like $75.00.....it looked like brand new when I picked it up. So it all depends on how much lift time I can score at the shop, and how ambitious I am feeling at the time.
The biggest PIA about the whole DC joint deal is keeping all the needles for the bearing in the cup.
Nah, for me it was getting that damn ball out of the socket.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had the same problem on my 1990 bronco, I found a good driveshaft shop turned out the driveshaft was a little out of balance also. He rebalanced it and fixed the joint and replaced the u joints while he was at it . I could have done it my self, but the out of balance driveshaft may have worn out more joints. 50,000 miles later it runs silky smoothe on the hiway and at any speed.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's all fixed. I bought the part at O'riellys, part# 608. It only took about an hour, runs out super smooth. No wonder I didn't understand it when I took it apart, I was missing a bunch of stuff. My spring was gone, and the race around the ball was gone. The seal was toast, and the needles in the ball were phucked.
My u-joints were new so I re-used them:

No more front wheel drive!

The part # at O'Riellys is 608 in precision brand (at least for my '85). It was around fiddy. :thumbup

·
Registered
490 Posts
my napa had it in stock something like $35 (kinda a lot for what seems like 1/4 of a u-joint)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Steve83 said:
CarQuest had the whole casting with the ball installed a few years ago. Seems like we discussed this in a thread a couple of months ago...
That's what I bought at oriellys, the whole casting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts