Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’ve been asking way to many questions the past couple days but I’ve had a lot of issues. Rebuilt my engine. Cranked it and got a puff of smoke from the ignition control module. Replaced the module and the truck ran great, every time I went to start it for a week or so it started right up. Today was my first real day of driving it. Drove it around all day. Started it up and turned it off many times without issue. Probably drove about 30 miles or so. Parked at my house and about 10 minutes later when to start it and it wouldn’t start. Took the spout out and it started. Ran without the spout for a little then totally died. Replaced the control module and it started back up. I’ve been trying to read on here as much as I can about the ignition control modules but I’m a little lost. Is it possible that there is a short somewhere? The control module that I got that lasted for a couple days is from advanced auto parts, BWD brand. I’ve had issues with that brand before. I put in a duralast one now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I have to drive to drive about an hour tomorrow towing a small trailer. I bought a spare control module Incase it breaks again

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
943 Posts
I’ve had a bad PIP in the distributor send some kind of crappy signal that would cause the TFI module to kill itself, killed like 3 in a row, then replaced the distributor and never killed one again

Reactions: KidWithTruck

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
I think you are supposed to test it with an oscilloscope, I’ve never actually tested one though. If I suspected it I just replaced the distributor, and it fixed my problem

Reactions: Desert Bronco

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright maybe I’ll just change it out tomorrow, I’d prefer to spend the money on it if it means I won’t break down on the highway. And if that isnt the issue then u just have a new non 27 year old distributor no harm no foul.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok here is a follow up question. The module that I put in from advanced auto parts came with a clear paste that seems similar to dielectric grease. The one from auto zone that I just put in came with a white paste. Is it possible that the one from advanced had the wrong paste and didn’t deal with the heat properly?

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
The white thermal paste is better, I don’t think it would burn up that fast because you used dielectric grease instead of thermal paste though. I’ve used regular dielectric when I didn’t have the right paste on hand, and the modules seemed to last anyway

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
1,046 Posts
If you keep popping control modulars, that's pobably not the problem.

·
Super Moderator
25,328 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi! So I replaced the distributor and I haven’t burned out the auto zone module yet. Driven it about 200 miles now and started it up and turned it off many times. Hopefully I’m in the clear. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts