Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can turn the truck on, but turning it off is not possible with the key..it just rotates freely in the cylinder in the column.

Just wondering how hard it would be to take the column apart to get to it to replace?

Also I'm guessing it's not gonna be a junkyardable item since you'd need the keys?

I'm looking through steve's diagrams but I haven't seen anything in there yet.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Well if you can turn the lock cylinder to the "ON" position you can just depress the pin on the bottom and pull the lock cylinder out of the column. No need to dissasemble anything.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if you can turn the lock cylinder to the "ON" position you can just depress the pin on the bottom and pull the lock cylinder out of the column. No need to dissasemble anything.
Alright thanks for that.

And nevermind about the junkyarding thing....I didn't know they were so cheap.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just went through the same problem on my 95. I replaced my lock cylinder but that didn't fix the problem. I had to replace 2 actuator rods in the steering column to fix the problem.
But I went to a locksmith and they cut a new igniton/door key for me. They used the new ignition key and the old door/ignition key and cut the new key by cutting the igniton teeth on top and the door teeth on the bottom. So I am back to 1 key working the ignition and doors.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Click my tan CV & look in the Steering Column album. :deal
Yeah I found it a bit after I posted that, I haven't been back here yet,

I'll take a look-see today, when I get off hopefully.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I just went through the same problem on my 95. I replaced my lock cylinder but that didn't fix the problem. I had to replace 2 actuator rods in the steering column to fix the problem.
But I went to a locksmith and they cut a new igniton/door key for me. They used the new ignition key and the old door/ignition key and cut the new key by cutting the igniton teeth on top and the door teeth on the bottom. So I am back to 1 key working the ignition and doors.

Yeah, I had to do that on my F250. I ended up having to tear the whole column down. What a frickin nightmare.

mR

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I had to do that on my F250. I ended up having to tear the whole column down. What a frickin nightmare.

mR
:doh0715:

This truck is wonderful to me...just wonderful. :banghead

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see the pin and I try to push up on it and it's solid as a rock; it won't budge.. I have the cylinder to the run position as best as I can (it just swivels in there so I don't exactly know)...i guess I'll play with it more later I tried this this morning before work.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I broke my key off in the ignition a while back. Checkers had an ignition for less than $20 and it swapped out in minutes. My ignition keys are blank and I no longer have a door key, but at least I don't have to start my truck with a screw driver anymore.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I broke my key off in the ignition a while back. Checkers had an ignition for less than $20 and it swapped out in minutes. My ignition keys are blank and I no longer have a door key, but at least I don't have to start my truck with a screw driver anymore.
I've already got a new cylinder I just need to get the old one out first...I think I wasn't at the RUN position so I'm gonna have to spin it around to find it

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I can't remember if it is the RUN or ON position. Try both. That button is pretty easy to depress with a small screwdriver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts