Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, ive been out of the bronco game for a while, havent had time to work on my baby due to being busy with graduation. :duh

As stated above, im replacing the ignition lock cylinder, or tumbler. I searched for tips, and came up with nothing. Naturally, not wanting to screw anything up i thought id ask if anyone that has done this before can point me in the right direction, as my bko is at my dads, and ill need to bring all needed tools with me. Btw, nice to see the site has grown a bit since last fall.:thumbup

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
88broncoxlt said:
Alright guys, ive been out of the bronco game for a while, havent had time to work on my baby due to being busy with graduation. :duh

As stated above, im replacing the ignition lock cylinder, or tumbler. I searched for tips, and came up with nothing. Naturally, not wanting to screw anything up i thought id ask if anyone that has done this before can point me in the right direction, as my bko is at my dads, and ill need to bring all needed tools with me. Btw, nice to see the site has grown a bit since last fall.:thumbup
Easy as pie- First turn the key to start but don't crank it over next there is a small hole on the bottom that has a pin you need to push it with a pick or small screw driver- at the same time pull on the cylinder and poof! it"s out. Install in reverse order and when you turn key to off after the cylinder is in the hole that pin will lock it and your done- bob

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
That's why were here. It's also how i learned how to do EVERYTHING to my vehicle! :rockon

·
I see Broncos
6,041 Posts
Slickerthanyou said:
That's why were here. It's also how i learned how to do EVERYTHING to my vehicle! :rockon

Not sure if that scares me or not...

But yea it's real easy I have done it a few times on fords.

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
I don't think you can because that little button won't push up until it is in the start position. Maybe a big F'n slide hammer worked great when i was young and stupid!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sorry to hijack but my on my ignition it binds up and the metal rind around the outside that is used to help you turn the key will turn some without the kep being in it. Does this mean i need a new ignnition lock cylinder?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It turns out, I go to the dealership, buy the cylinder for $32 and change. Go to install, and (duh) dont have my key! So what do i do? I put one of the keys that came with the cylinder into the original keyhole....and start the bronco! Hahah it was hilarious, besides the fact I spent $32 on a set of keys.:twak
I would feel bad about copying the keys and returning the cylinder, even though I doubt the dealership would let me. I'll just keep it because i know if I return it, I'll need one soon after with my luck.:toothless

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
Steve83 said:
Slicker
The pin can be drilled out, if you're VERY patient.

Ya -but when your steal....I meant borrowing a ride- time is of essense. This was a loooooooong time ago!

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
My outer ring will also move and bind alot sometimes. I have actualy started the truck once without the key. Time for a new cylinder?

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,797 Posts
Thanks Slickerthanyou and Steve83 :rockon

I just replaced my ignition cylinder. The "dog ears" surrounding the key broke and were spinning. It took like 3 minutes to figure out how to pull the ignition cylinder thanks to this thread and the pictures on Steve83's supermotors site.

The local stealership wanted $75 for the ignition cylinder and had to order it. I politely told them where they could send that order and walked out the door. I found one a AZ for $18. Don't know how long the AZ one will last though. Now to find a locksmith to rekey the new one to match my door keys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.