Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 89 Eddie Bauer 351 C6. When it gets hot and humid here in NJ the truck does not want to start with the key. The key turns as it should. All lights and acc. light up in the run position and the same in the acc. positions.
When I go to turn the key to start the engine, nothing.

The relay on the fender is good. I can jump it from the positive post of the relay to the small post where the red wire is.

I have replaced the ignition switch on the column. Nothing. No juice to the red wire on the relay.

I replaced the switch on the trans last summer. I'm hoping it didn't burn out all ready. I checked and it is adjusted correctly.

The day before this happened. I turned off the truck and I still could hear the fuel pump go for about a minute. That never happened before.

That night. I ended up with this problem. Now Ihave to turn the key as if the truck is on and jump it with a screwdriver at the relay.

Any suggestions?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Bad ground wire somewhere? Crappy positive battery cable? Battery terminals cruddy? Dirty/greasy/loose/corroded connections?..........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A ground wire in the area of the relay? The terminals are clean. For some odd reason this happens only when its in the 90's and humid. I was told that the red wire from the relay goes to the switch on the column?? I thought it went to the starter? If its true that it goes to the switch can I bypass this with a new wire??

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I am not sure exactly what you are trying to rewire, but I would guess no. Find a wiring diagram for your truck (there should be a link in FSB somewhere). I would start at one end and work to the other. If you know there is not power to the trigger on the relay, then go to back to the trans, no power there, then back to the ignition switch, etc. Keep an eye out for a short/broken wire while you are at it.

I had a similar problem but my truck just wigged when it felt like it. It was a loose ignition switch. In tinkering around with it, I found it was slightly adjustable. If I slid it too far down the column, the start circuit was just on the fringe of working. Sometimes it did, sometimes it did not. I ended up replacing the switch.

New parts can be bad, wires can come loose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts