Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
OOPS GIVE A DAMN IS BROKE
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the rod on the top of the column is not moving with the key so i am guessing something in there is broke.

so here is my idea i am want to put a push button ignition in, ya know turn the key hit the button. here is the question how doable is it?
lets hear some answers and someone here has already done it but damn it i dont remember who

:banghead

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,860 Posts
I had a similar setup on an old mazda pickup when I was a kid.

Put a lighted switch under the dash, and then a pushbutton on the front of the dash.

Flipped the switch and pushed the button... VROOM! :thumbup

Wasn't thief proof, but would have been a real hassle for someone to find the switch, before using the button and no key was ever required.

·
Registered
35 Posts
SoftTopBronco said:
If you have a hand starter, usually used for bumping the engine while working on it, just clip it to the solenoid, run in into the cab and use that.
:stupid

You just need a puch button switch with 12 volts run through it to the starting solenoid, should work like a champ.

·
FSB warrior
6,118 Posts
gearrat said:
here is the question how doable is it?
:banghead
If I can get a Caprice Classic in a 105 degree parking lot to start with one in 20 minutes... im sure you can do it now that its cooling down in AZ. Get out the wiring diagram.... clip the right wires and splice it in.:thumbup

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
fawk'n wiring noob :goodfinge
Start wire is ALWAYS Red / blue strip

All you had to do is ask :twak :goodfinge

:beer

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Oh and if its an auto; try to get the wire before the trany. So you don't bump the switch with the truck in gear :beer

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Import guys do this all the time, there are alot of ways to do it too. I would get a locking key switch, and use that to arm the system, and then do either a push buttom on the dash, or wire in an old High beam switch on the floor. I used to work in a scout camp that had a start switch like that but it was a metal high beam switch on the trans hump, and you pushed it with your palm. Problem was, it was 24 volts, and it didnt always start right away, so I used to get little circular burns on my palm. So if I was gonna do it I would make it a foot operated switch if I used that style. Painless, calterm, and Motormite all make dash mounted ones too.

Good luck, post some pics if you do it

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a pushbutton on the '83... just turn the key and push the lil silver button under the dash to actuate the starter! you should see the guys at the emmisions place lol none of em could figure out how to start it, and one of em finally comes into the waiting area and tells me my truck was dead and he had called a tow truck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts