Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
F.O.T.Y. 2003
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my old 89 bronco has been sitting for a few years sorry to say, mainly because of some brake issues. I went to move it a few weeks ago and it seemed like the "run" position had become very small ( like you could start it, but as soon as you let the key return to run it would shut off. )....so a couple weeks go by and i decide to fix it, got as far as opening the hood and hooking up a battery, and i got a big puff of smoke from the 6AL box....

that brings me to yesterday. Installed a new MSD digital box, and dropped the column for a new ignition switch. put it all back together...start does not work now. also, truck does not charge, no dome light, no radio, no cb, no windshield wipers. was able to bypass the relay with a wrench and the truck runs, so the switch does turn the truck on and off.

Thinking of trying another switch, but i put the old one back in and it acts the same as the new one.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
So my old 89 bronco has been sitting for a few years sorry to say, mainly because of some brake issues. I went to move it a few weeks ago and it seemed like the "run" position had become very small ( like you could start it, but as soon as you let the key return to run it would shut off. )....so a couple weeks go by and i decide to fix it, got as far as opening the hood and hooking up a battery, and i got a big puff of smoke from the 6AL box....

that brings me to yesterday. Installed a new MSD digital box, and dropped the column for a new ignition switch. put it all back together...start does not work now. also, truck does not charge, no dome light, no radio, no cb, no windshield wipers. was able to bypass the relay with a wrench and the truck runs, so the switch does turn the truck on and off.

Thinking of trying another switch, but i put the old one back in and it acts the same as the new one.
Did you adjust the ignition switch? When you let go of the key in the start position, does it spring back hard and fast to the run position? If it doesn’t “spring” back to run, the ignition switch isn’t adjusted properly.

·
F.O.T.Y. 2003
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you adjust the ignition switch? When you let go of the key in the start position, does it spring back hard and fast to the run position? If it doesn’t “spring” back to run, the ignition switch isn’t adjusted properly.
Yeah it does that.. i set it in there like 4 times with the same results. not sure what would cause it to lose charging, wipers, stereo, dome, cb, oh and start.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Make sure the ignition switch is actually moving all the way to the accessory slot... if not adjust it to there and then it should be adjusted.

another thought... when you burnt your the 6AL you might have also burnt some of the guessable links.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,900 Posts
I would verify the lock cylinder & shift rod are good, and then verify the function of the ignition switch. If you have to, remove it and bench test it.
The charge circuit for the alt runs thru the switch, so if the switch or the wiring on the column is bad, there is a potential for a No Charge scenario.

If you havent yet, verify all your fusible links are still good.

·
Super Moderator
27,700 Posts
Yo Crazed,
Damage includes possible battery explosion, EEC and alternator damage, damaged fusible link, .that have fusible links have melted/charred insulation when they burn out, blown fuses, no start, no crank.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,900 Posts
Dude what. How did that happen? Discharged and recharged backwards? Or was it a new battery that came in reverse polarity???

·
F.O.T.Y. 2003
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dude what. How did that happen? Discharged and recharged backwards? Or was it a new battery that came in reverse polarity???
I wish I knew for sure.. its been so long since i messed with this think, I thought it was the battery that I used before but i may have bought it and tossed it on the bench till now?

I don't trust my battery charger anymore either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts