Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i hope someone can help because i have not a clue and everyone says something different so far. My 1991 bronco has problems turning over, meaning i have to turn the key all the way and keep pushing hard and hopefully it will eventually turn. Some have told me to replace the coil some say the ignition switch, and some say the wiring in the column. What is it really? Thanks:banghead

·
Registered
577 Posts
If it's cranking it's probably not the ignition switch. When's the last time it had a tune-up? What's fuel pressure at the rail? Did you check for codes? Are you getting spark when it's not turning over? We'll need some more info on this one. Also fiil out your trucks info on the sidebar profile.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
"Ignition Actuator", inside the steering column underneath the steering wheel made out of pot metal which break frequently $9.00 part at any auto parts chain.

There is a thread with elaborate pictures "1985 steering column actuator" search for it. :doh0715:

For now take off the black plastic column shroud which goes thru the bottom of the dash and you'll see a rod that runs down on top of the column to the ignition switch, turn the key to "RUN" and with pliers drive the rod down/foward and it will start, then just shut it off like normal.

PITA job to do, TILT & NON TILT columns both have these actuators, my non-tilt is broken right now, Ive just been too lazy recently. :banghead

I lost feeling in my left hand and couldn't play my guitar, it's just starting to come back! lol

:thumbup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks i wasn't sure if that was it, i have seen the thread you are talking about

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
He said the Bronco has problems turning over!

Usually when you have to rotate the key all the way over towards the dash, it's a sign that the actuator is broken or about to, it's attached to the rod, key tumbler and the ignition switch and it may not be triggering the ignition enough to start.

Meaning the rod attached to the ignition switch isn't traveling far enough, the switch has a track in the center of it with slots, the rod end sits in one of the slots which slides up and down. To start "RUN" or stop "OFF" or "AUX" positions.

I swapped from tilt to non-tilt to make it easier I thought, but both columns have this actuator only the non-tilt just has less crap to take off PITA job. lol lol

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts