Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone could help me out I got a 79 with a 429 I'm having trouble with the ignition system I've replaced battery,solenoid,and starter because everytime I go to start it It seems like the battery is dead It will turn over but not fast enough to start. After replacing starter it seemed to work for a couple times then everything went dead now I have nuthing as if there was no battery at all I've checked all my connections they are still good but no juice?:banghead

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Sounds like you have a short in the system that is draining your battery down. I would take a test light to the fuse block and see what circuits/fusses are getting power with the ignition off. You should only have like one or two circuits/fuses that will have power when the ignition is off.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Take a 12v test light. With the key off. Disconnect the NEG cable from the battery and put the test light between the NEG cable and the NEG post on the battery. If it glows AT ALL or is just faintly dim, you have something that is drawing from the battery. If it glows, then remove one fuse at a time and check the test light after each fuse. When the test light goes out, that is the circut that has a short. When you remove a fuse and the test light stays on, return the fuse to the fuse box and move on to the next fuse.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update?

It was the starter but now I have no spark checked the coil its good I just replaced plugs an wires what else could it be?

·
Registered
533 Posts
It was the starter but now I have no spark checked the coil its good I just replaced plugs an wires what else could it be?
new question right? if so i would look at cap, and rotar/points. if not. i would look toward the regulator. you have now made me dizzy:histerica.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts