Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 Bronco with a 302. No tilt wheel.
I have an ignition problem. Got in the truck the other day and started it up. I heard a lot of noise coming from the starter which was stuck. Cut the key off and it kept turning over. Disconnected the battery to stop it. I went and bought a new solenoid which worked fine for a couple of days, then the same problem. I replaced the ignition lock cylinder and the ignition starter switch ( located on the column ). I turn the key and get nothing four or five times, then it might crank on the sixth time. I used a test light on the wire that goes to the solenoid from the key, had my wife turn it on several times and only got it to light the tester one out of ten.
I can start it with a screw driver at the solenoid. I know that I can rig up a push button starter. However, I would like to fix it so it will start the way it is suppose too. Any ideas on the culprit? It is really pissing me off!
I have had tons of mustangs from the late eighties and early nineties with no problem like this. They typically only have the ignition starter switch on the column wear out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, I have read quite a few of the post on the subject. But, did not come across a solution to this problem.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
1991 Bronco with a 302. No tilt wheel.
I have an ignition problem. Got in the truck the other day and started it up. I heard a lot of noise coming from the starter which was stuck. Cut the key off and it kept turning over. Disconnected the battery to stop it. I went and bought a new solenoid which worked fine for a couple of days, then the same problem. I replaced the ignition lock cylinder and the ignition starter switch ( located on the column ). I turn the key and get nothing four or five times, then it might crank on the sixth time. I used a test light on the wire that goes to the solenoid from the key, had my wife turn it on several times and only got it to light the tester one out of ten.
I can start it with a screw driver at the solenoid. I know that I can rig up a push button starter. However, I would like to fix it so it will start the way it is suppose too. Any ideas on the culprit? It is really pissing me off!
I have had tons of mustangs from the late eighties and early nineties with no problem like this. They typically only have the ignition starter switch on the column wear out.

I had the same problems with the solenoids the parts store sold me, sticking the starter open and all, and ended up returning two of them they tried to push on me. I got my money back though. So I just kept my old one, and it works fine for being at least 7 years old. They say replace them every time you replace the battery or something like that, but if they only sell garbage that wants to eat my flywheel up, at the store, I figured why fix it if it ain't broke? Maybe Ford sells a good solenoid?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually went through three solenoids. The last one was a ford solenoid. It has melted down now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the ignition wire that goes to the solenoid have a fuseable link attatched to it? That might explain no power to the wire. But, if it is gone and I replace it, will the it start the turning over process that cant be stopped (unless I pull the battery wire)? Which I was experiencing earlier.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Does the ignition wire that goes to the solenoid have a fuseable link attatched to it? That might explain no power to the wire. But, if it is gone and I replace it, will the it start the turning over process that cant be stopped (unless I pull the battery wire)? Which I was experiencing earlier.
IDK. There's about 5 wires with fuseable links connected to the solenoid though.

·
Premium Member
9,999 Posts
Wiring problem at the starter relay, starter relay, starter motor or "upper ignition actuator" about to break inside the steering column assuming you have that set up......:shrug

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I wonder if there is a way to know if the wires attach in a specific pattern onto the newer, possibly updated solenoid? I couldn't figure it out myself, that's why I just kept my old one. Furthermore, I have never torn into an ignition system , so I can't help much beyond here. I just know the new solenoids proved their worthlessness to me.:banghead

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I am going to try to trace the ignition wire from the solenoid on down to see if it is shorting out. Electrical gremlins are the worst.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Daves 88, I have the wires put on the solenoid exactly as they came off. I took a pic with phone. A good habit I always do when working on vehicles. However, the problem fried the ford motorcraft starter too.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Try searching the forums here. The search button is in the blue banner above . Maybe someone else had the same issue. Let us know when you fix it, by posting here. And fill in your Bronco information to the left. It helps people help you when they know what you have.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Filled in the info. I have searched the threads, lots of similar problems but found no cure as of yet.

·
Super Moderator
26,017 Posts
yo 94,

Ignition Switch Pin-Out Diagram & Continuity Testing (Logic Tables in 87-91 (from Factory Manual and the Ford Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM)
Source: by Broncobill78 (Dave) at http://broncozone.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=6659

For posterity
Runs On after the switch is released in Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction (PGMR) in 92-96; This situation develops when the ignition terminal on the starter is “jumpered” to the battery terminal on the starter and a remote solenoid is used. Permanent magnet starters can actually produce power if they are driven from an outside source (i.e. the starter will act like an alternator once the engine fires and starts spinning). The current produced in the starter for this second or so will flow from the starter’s battery terminal to the starter’s ignition terminal and hold the solenoid in. This will cause the one to two second delay in the solenoid release and an irritating noise. The solution is to wire the starter per the instruction sheet, which will ensure that the ignition switch terminal goes dead the instance the key is released.
Source: by powermastermotorsports.com

·
Super Moderator
26,017 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the diagrams (miesk5). I will use them at a later date. But I wanted to mention that the small red/Blue wire that is activated by the key was sometimes making connection and sometimes not. That is why I am sure it is not the starter. However, I could be wrong.

I just finished hooking up a starter button that works perfectly for now. I put one wire to the fender mounted solenoid and the other wire to a key on ignition source (the blower fuse). I'll trace wire and deal with the issue next weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts