Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this thread in light of my new outlook on newbs. I already got the problem fixed, but I know this can be a common problem. I tried to make the topic readily search friendly.

The other day I killed my batterie by leaving my electric fans on. So my buddie comes over to jump it. We tried unsuccesefully for over 30 mins.

Another friend came over and we tried with his car, because he had a larger alternator. Nothing.

So I changed my alternator back to my stock one, and still nothing. It just wouldn't start.

Now to clarify, the battery was getting charged, the bko just wasn't starting.

So after talking to a few people, I had some suggestions to try.

First, I changed the solonoid. Didn't work.

Second, I pulled the starter to test it. It was fine.

Third, I scratched my head in confusion as to what could be wrong.

Suddenly it dawned on me, short the solonoid and see if it turns over. Bam!! It worked.

Apparently I fried a wire in my column, and when I would turn the key over, it wasn't closing the circut.

Sollution:

Install a new ignition switch to replace the burnt out wire. Now I turn the key to start, and press the ignition button on my dash, and she starts right up.

So just in case you ever get stuck because your truck won't start, always try to short the solonoid and see if it turns over.

That's my bit of newb friendly knowledge.:thumbup

·
Registered
14 Posts
um i have an 86 bronco and i bought it on the 5th of novemeber and when i drove it home it was fine and all so the next day i was messing around putting a system in my car and then the next day after i tired starting my car it dident wanna start the sound that i was hereing was like a woody wood pecker on my truck so we tryed jumping it not working so i said fuk it i tired again the next day the jumping it worked had the car running for an half an hour so i tired later that day and the sucker dident start and the same nose can some one help me out

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
Man, I am not tryan to disrespect you. but in my experiance the first thing you do when any Ford vehicle wont start is short the solinoid.

Man, Im just sorry you spent all that mony on parts. but im glad you got it fixed.:beer

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Caspa, you said you can get your's running??? I'd say jump it off again and carry it to atuozone, let them test it....It'll save you alot of guess work...:thumbup

·
Registered
331 Posts
When my alternator went out we actually couldnt jump it b/c the guy had crappy cables. Next day put mine on and it starts right up...drove it right to Checker and had them test everything. It goes to show that it can be any combination of things when your Bronco wont start.

*Note I did not buy my alternator or battery from Checker...just had them test it out.

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
sorry caspa but i just about fell on the floor when you said "sound that i was hereing was like a woody wood pecker on my truck" Thats your solenoid not engaging.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts