Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
A spOUT connector is only present on EEC-IV and up vehicles. Most commonly, this means about 1984 and later.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have an eec (II ?) on my 85 bronco 4.9L with the feedback carb.
It has a SPOUT, although it's a little different than what I'm used to (the eec iv style), but my factory smog/timing sticker on the core support calls it a spout.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Check your distributor, if there is a vacume advance cannister on the side of it you don't have a spout. It controls the advance.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
is it only on fuel injected engines or did it come on carbs too?
Both! :thumbup

I've owned both carbureted and EFI (throttle-body, and port variants) EEC-IV PCMs. The same spOUT connector is used on ALL of them. Even the later ones using no distributor (EDIS-based) have spOUT connectors for checking baseline ignition timing. The EEC-IV is simply one of the best things to come along in the auto industry aside from the advent of electronic fuel injection itself. Ford's used it or variants of the same design for about 30 years now, and it's been amazingly resilient and robust on top of being mutable. Chrysler and GM PCMs are comparatively jokes in a box.

This should be a testament to the power of pouring zillions of dollars into R&D. It's also why trying to improve upon it is so difficult, too.

I have an eec (II ?) on my 85 bronco 4.9L with the feedback carb.
It has a SPOUT, although it's a little different than what I'm used to (the eec iv style), but my factory smog/timing sticker on the core support calls it a spout.
If it's called a spOUT, there is a spOUT connector, and you should have an EEC-IV PCM, especially in an '85.

I could be wrong, but if I am, you may have an electronic Ford oddity called an MCU, used in a limited number of carbureted vehicles. It is crude, and offers nothing more than very basic emissions controls and timing. No adaptive capacity, no ability to output trouble codes, NOTHING. They were more common on later passenger cars (Crown Vic w/ 5.8L) and a few rangers/bronco IIs with carburetors.

Since you say it says "spOUT" on the VECI, then it should also tell you what its using for a PCM or controller unit. It will say "MCU" or "EEC-IV" somewhere.

EEC-III is also a possibility, but I doubt that's what you have, unless you also have a Duraspark ignition module and, as mentioned by someone already, a vacuum line going to a spark advance device on the distributor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts