Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok y'all,
My wife lost the keys in the 2 feet of snow in my front yard and well I need to figure out how to remove the ignition lock and replace it. Would use the book to answer the question, but the book is 100 miles away at a pards house and he is gone for the week.So is anyone can help I would be really greatfull.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
I'd much rather do the little bit of work to find the key than deal with replacing the ignition cylinder. I didn't get keys with my '81 and had to drill for over an hour through the whole cylinder and then press a weird little button to get it to slide out. It was a huge PITA.

Also what will you do about door locks? Those have to be changed too.

See if you can borrow a metal detector or just shovel snow until you find it.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
I'd much rather do the little bit of work to find the key than deal with replacing the ignition cylinder. I didn't get keys with my '81 and had to drill for over an hour through the whole cylinder and then press a weird little button to get it to slide out. It was a huge PITA.

Also what will you do about door locks? Those have to be changed too.

See if you can borrow a metal detector or just shovel snow until you find it.
x2

I had to use a slide hammer.... drove a big wood screw into the cylinder attached the slide hammer to the screw and hammered it out. It sucked, BAD. If she knows she lost the keys in the yard, you would be better off buying a metal detector and finding them that way.

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
Ok y'all,
My wife lost the keys in the 2 feet of snow in my front yard and well I need to figure out how to remove the ignition lock and replace it. Would use the book to answer the question, but the book is 100 miles away at a pards house and he is gone for the week.So is anyone can help I would be really greatfull.
The book isnt going to be much help since you need to turn the plug, depress the retainer pin to extract the lock cylinder. Unless you can pick or impression a lock, you will be drilling. And as pointed out it's a PITA and wont do much for your door/ tailgate and compartment locks.

If you can isolate the area where she dropped them I would be tempted to try to melt the snow. Hot water or a torpedo heated.

Call a locksmith and see what he charges. Where are you?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Drag this around in the snow!

West Marine $25.
Just the thing for butter-fingered boaters. Lifts over 200lb. of ferrous metals. PVC-coated to resist chips and corrosion.

4" x 3 3/4" x 3 1/4"
Up to 200 lbs. lifting capacity

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Drag this around in the snow!

West Marine $25.
Just the thing for butter-fingered boaters. Lifts over 200lb. of ferrous metals. PVC-coated to resist chips and corrosion.

4" x 3 3/4" x 3 1/4"
Up to 200 lbs. lifting capacity

That'd be my choice before I'd go near the column again

Sixlitre

p.s./
Can't buddy overnight you an extra set of keys ?

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
The magnet has one big drawback......keys are generally brass. Unless he has them on a steel ring or something else is steel, the magnet wont find them.

sorry to be a party pooper :drinkbud

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
S#@T, all that just to replace the tumbler set.Well, I just got off the phone with the locksmith and his wants 300 bones, I guess I get what I get for living 150 miles from anywhere.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
What year is the truck and what kind of tools do you have? Its not hard at all. Me and my father took the column apart at a gas station. I had the key but mine decided to quit turning. All you really need is some basic hand tools and some time. I would still say that finding the keys may be easier than taking the column apart.

Bascially your going to tear the column down until you take the entire peice that holds the key lock cylinder off. then slide/beat the aluminum peice (looks like a bar w/teeth on it) out. Then you can just push the rod to start it for the time being. Then when you get the chance to fix it right, all you have to do is drill out the little pin that holds the key cylinder in the column and pull it out. Not sure what kind of circumstances you have, but it is entirely do-able.

(Basically, your stealing your own truck :twak)

But agian, I would recomend trying to find the keys. Get a strong magnet like someone mentioned before or just get on your knees (or tell your wife to) and look for the keys. If you know where there at, it shouldn't take to long.

And for all you guys that had a hard time, there really was an easier way, at least for me. :goodfinge:histerica

KC

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Normally IIRC you need to turn the key to "Run" position then use a small flat screw driver, I use a narrow file end and push up in the slot just under the key tumbler/column collar and it should pop out.
To intall the new is the same, key needs to be in "Run" etc.

I'm not sure but remove the black column shroud and see if you can drive the igniton rod which is on top of the column downward, once exposed you may be able to get to the "RUN" positon then it should pop out.

If that doesn't work, you definatley need the key.

You don't normally have to tear down the column just to get the tumbler out!
You don't use the square ignition key for the doors it's the round key!

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Normally IIRC you need to turn the key to "Run" position then use a small flat screw driver, I use a narrow file end and push up in the slot just under the key tumbler/column collar and it should pop out.
To intall the new is the same, key needs to be in "Run" etc.

I'm not sure but remove the black column shroud and see if you can drive the igniton rod which is on top of the column downward, once exposed you may be able to get to the "RUN" positon then it should pop out.

If that doesn't work, you definatley need the key.

You don't normally have to tear down the column just to get the tumbler out!

Good Luck ~ :thumbup
Thats the problem...he doesn't have the key to turn the cylinder to push the pin in! :twak

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys, guess what, my 4 year old found the keys while building her snowman( there is a God). Anyhow thanks again, now I can remind the better half not to loose the keys!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
You might wanna go ahead and make an extra set or 5 of those.... :toothless

And ziptie a set under your truck.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
You might wanna go ahead and make an extra set or 5 of those.... :toothless

And ziptie a set under your truck.
A wise investment

and give the four year old a set to keep for you (and an ice cream for being a good kid !)

Sixlitre

·
Registered
73 Posts
alrighty, I"m trying to take the key out..permanently. I need to get teh ignition switch out, then splice into the hot wire going into the ignition switch and run it to a toggle switch mounted on the dash. (before this project is finished, i'm going to fiberglass up the hole where hte key was, making the steering column clean, and solid black)

But first..How do I get that part of the steering column shroud off? I got hte four screws out, took off the tilt lever on the left, which let me get the bottom half off, but the top is held on because of the ignition switch. Am I right in assuming that once I get the ignition switch out, I'll be able to get the top part of the shroud off the steering column, which will let me get to the wiring bundle gonig tothe key switch?

This little adventure has become more than I bargained for...my brain hurts.

And of course..now that I got it torn apart and holes drilled, and more orless lookin pretty ghetto, I can't find my Haynes manual.

BTW, its a '95 xlt, 5.0 if that makes any difference
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts