Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 93 bronco, 351, auto. The ignition switch was broken and the guy put a push button to start it. Can I replace the switch and remove the push button? Would I have to replace the whole column?

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Is the column itself butchered like someone tried to steal the truck with a hammer and a screwdriver? Maybe the actuator broke and the PO took the easy way out?
Hopefully he didn't molest the wiring that bad putting in the push button.
Either way do like whats his name ^^ said and post some pics

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is there no ignition at all? Or do you tur. The power with the key and just use a button to actually start it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I turn key, everything get power than I just have to push the button to start it. It feels like someone did use a screwdriver at one time or another.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm pretty sure that there is a metal bar running g the length of your steering column. I think its probably just a little bent , but having it adjusted SHOULD make it work. Now don't ask me how to fix it, since I also did a push button on mine!

·
Super Moderator
26,048 Posts
yo b,
Your ign sw wiring diagram

ign Switch Pin-Out Diagram & Continuity Testing (Logic Tables) in 80-91 & 92-96
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/831772

Lock Cylinder Replacement; "...That pin isn't the ONLY thing holding the lock cylinder in place. The tip of the cylinder that actually works the gear is also keyed, and fits thru a slot in a retaining washer (3E700). If the cylinder isn't in the RUN position, the keyed end is captive in the washer and won't pull out because of the snap ring (3C610). The correct way (and I've done this a few times) is to drill out the key SLOT with a ~5/16" bit; once at each side of the slot so you destroy both sets of wafers & springs. (It helps to break off the chromed bezel first). After they're gone, the cylinder will turn to RUN, and you can press the little button (like normal), releasing the cylinder from the column without ever drilling near something you're NOT gonna replace anyway.Elmo's suggestion assumes you break the keyed end of the cylinder off (not easy or likely) and then rip out the washer & snap ring. There's no need for that kind of destruction. You might as well just replace the column now & save yourself the drilling & fighting.. Just break the collar off with pliers, or a prybar in the key slot. Once the cylinder is out, yes, you can reach thru that washer & turn the gear to operate the ig.sw. and unlock the column & shifter. It'll drive normally."
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

A J Scatt & CF advised;
Actuator Rod
Removal & Installation Instructions in 92-96
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104678&highlight=ignition+actuator

And at http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/573959

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I'm pretty sure that there is a metal bar running g the length of your steering column. I think its probably just a little bent , but having it adjusted SHOULD make it work. Now don't ask me how to fix it, since I also did a push button on mine!
Not that simple on 92+ models. There is a two piece plastic actuator inside of the column which tends to break, when they do you will feel no resistance when you turn the key. They are a pain in the ass to replace thats why people will just say F it and put in a push button.
Follow Miesk5's links or search "Ignition actuator" .
Your description of the problem is vague so its hard to say exactly what the problem is.
It kinda sounds like your switch at the bottom of the column might be broke

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. It starts fine with the push button. I just wanted to fix it the right way. I think I may just say screw it and keep the button and save the time that I would of spent on that and fix something more important. Thanks again for the info.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Thanks for the info. It starts fine with the push button. I just wanted to fix it the right way. I think I may just say screw it and keep the button and save the time that I would of spent on that and fix something more important. Thanks again for the info.
Yeah, I guess a properly working ignition switch would be on the bottom of my list too.
You'll have plenty to do when that jury rigged push button ignition fails and truck catches fire

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only reason I'm not gonna fix the ignition switch right away is cuz I'm driving it until summer and I have fix the power steering pump, I already fixed the doors and I'm gonna start the body work soon. Before I drive the bronco I'm gonna fix the switch. I looked at it and I don't think the guy put the button in hacked the wires to bad so I should be able to fix those. I think I'm gonna change the whole steering column cuz the whole thing is loose and just don't feel right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts