Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1001 - 1020 of 2256 Posts

·
Practicing Infidel
15,114 Posts
A little bit. I only drove it to work this morning sense the tune up(finished it last night), and haven't driven it sense cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor.
I know it spins the tires easier.. Tested that out last night... lol
That's good

Gonna use the gas money saved to save towards a larger Y-pipe ?

Sixlitre

·
is hazardous to others
1,670 Posts
That's good

Sixlitre
Nope, I already put a 2.5 inch mandral bent "Y" pipe on it! I work at a tire and exhaust wholesale whse, and I bought a mandrel bent left tailpipe for it, cut it up and made a 2.5 "Y" pipe from the manifods, put it into a 3 inch pipe, a glasspack, a Flow Pro muffler, and a 3 inch mandrel tail pipe in the stock location...

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,340 Posts
A little bit. I only drove it to work this morning sense the tune up(finished it last night), and haven't driven it sense cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor.
I know it spins the tires easier.. Tested that out last night... lol
That's good

Sixlitre
:histerica Note the "spins the tires..." He's not saving any gas money! :rofl:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I'm happy to say I've purchased most parts to do this upgrade ( msd cap and rotor, msd coil and ford racing wires). Although I haven't owned my truck for much over 6 months, it seems to run really well, especially with the miles it has. So I guess we will see if this helps me any. I only checked the MPG once and it was roughly 12 to 13 average between city and highway, which seems to be what most are getting after upgrading. Plus I can easily break loose my 32x11.5" tires, which I've herd a few people mention they could only do after upgrading.

Since purchasing the truck I've installed new autolite 24's which I NOW realize the car quest guy gave me a wrong temp range plug than stock. Do you think it will make a difference by going to the autolite 25's? Or should I just reuse my 24's that I already own and are only a few months old. I will have to re gap them from .045 to .055 anyways so the 24's will be pulled no matter what.

Last night I installed the cap and rotor. I'm just waiting on my new coil, which comes in today. Still waiting on summit for the ford racing wires though, sure hope they are the right one's.

One thing I'm a little confused on though, do you adjust the timing with the engine on? And will you get shocked if you turn the cap? or do you really have to wear a glove or special wrench?

Thanks for all the good advice and opinions this thread has brought upon me. It has really helped.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Engine must be running and you won't get shocked, just grab the cap and twist a little. You can use a wrench or a socket & extension / u-joint to loosen the distributor bolt.

Don't forget to clean the marks on your balancer or it's going to be pretty hard to set the timing.

Sorry, no help with the spark plug question.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,114 Posts
Moody's right l67cooled

The only way you could get a shock is if you had really, really old plug wires. I got my eye shocked whilst adjusting a 5.0 litre Mustang because my face was so close to the hood hold up brace.

Now my friend I have to say, I'm a pretty tight (cheap [email protected]$turd;)) Bronco owner, but consider this;

Autolite Coppers are THE cheapest plug in the store, often going on sale for 99 cents each. If I were you I'd buy the right ones and gap em' out to .055 and toss the 24s.

On some vehicles I'll loosen the dist base bolt (with the engine off) and then put a thick towel over the dist cap & wires and twist that way (if you're still a-fearin' gettin' a shock;)).

Hope everythang goes well for you

Sixlitre

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Feels good knowing I won't get shocked now:thumbup I think I really just needed the reassurance. I found the timing marks and its surprisingly visible. Also found the plug on my 87 and its rate under the distributor, with a gray plug. So timing looks like its a breeze compared to what I figured it to be.

As for the plugs, I just went ahead and bought the right one's today at walmart. Only bad news is my msd coil came today and the packaging was all bashed up and I ended up turning it down. I'm considering just using the one that's on the truck.

Which would leave me with msd rotor and cap, ford racing wires, and autolite 25's at .055 gap. I'll see how it runs and determine if I need to really upgrade the coil. In the meantime I did clean the old coil connector real good, so hopefully its up to the job.

I'll give an update after I get the wires and bump the timing. Probably be sometime after turkey day! :rockon

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,689 Posts
Yup. :D The factory TFI coil is hard to beat, and it will damn-sure outlast anything MSD makes.

Reactions: ALASKAGUY603

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,340 Posts
Yup. :D The factory TFI coil is hard to beat, and it will damn-sure outlast anything MSD makes.
So, if I already installed an MSD coil (which hasn't caused a problem yet), what would you suggest throwing in the spare parts box for if it does fail?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,114 Posts
So, if I already installed an MSD coil (which hasn't caused a problem yet), what would you suggest throwing in the spare parts box for if it does fail?
One of my 5.0 litres has an MSD

and the uth-a has a stock Motorcraft. BOTH have Motorcraft spares in their toolboxes, or I wouldn't dream of leaving the county.

Sixlitre

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,340 Posts
I carry the stocker I took off for the tune up. The coil wires were different in the way they plug into the coil, so I carry that too. No good if you can't plug it back in, right?
I'll have to look on the shelf and see if I saved anything.

·
U jelly of my
3,402 Posts

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,689 Posts
Motorcraft. Alternatively, Standard/BWD/Niehoff. Autolite Professional wires are great, a close second only to Motorcraft. :thumbup

I don't keep too many spare parts in the truck. I do keep my cellular phone and my AAA card in my pockets, though. :toothless

1001 - 1020 of 2256 Posts