Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forums and cant find anything like what happned to me yesterday. When getting back from lowes I went to turn the bronco off and key turned back and removed as usual but the truck was still running. Reinsert key and it just turns back and forth from stop to stop. it hits the detent but wont engage anything. So my ignition is stuck in the run position and I have to jump the sylinoid to start it and pull the diode out to kill it. then remove battery cable to keep charge on battery. any help would be greatly appreciated..

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
went to turn the bronco off and key turned back and removed as usual but the
truck was still running. Reinsert key and it just turns back and forth from stop
to stop. it hits the detent but wont engage anything. So my ignition is stuck in
the run position and I have to jump the {relay} to start it and pull the diode out
to kill it. then remove battery cable to keep charge on battery.
What year is it?
Sounds like a simple mechanical problem from here.

Don't know nuthin' about air-bags but if it ain't got those it'll be easy to fix.
Temporary fix could be to remove the ignition-switch itself and use a cotter
pin puller. That's what I'm using on my '91 until I wire-in my dash switch. :)

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/Bronco-ignition.jpg
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/cotterpin.jpg
(I don't use it for cotter pins, I just use it for almost everything else ;)

Butthead in AZ
ps- Diode? What diode?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok..... more info. I replace the ignition cylinder and still nothing. Thought switch was bad. rem oved switch to replace it and switch works fine. The piece in the column that moves the switch seems to move on its own without the key and wont move with the key. Is there any wqy to repair this or do I have to swap columns...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Most likely it is the actuator. It is a little pot metal piece inside the ignition cylinder that attaches to the rod that goes to the ignition switch. You need to dissasemble the key cylinder area to get to it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I am sure you are right. I will have to tear into it later...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey, just fixed this exact same thing on my truck 2 days ago.

Good News: Nothing might be broken on you truck. With me a small (less than an inch long) metal fell and disconnected the ignition switch from the actuator. This caused the exact same thing to me as you stated (I have a 95 Bronco.) DO NOT go to the link that says "85 replacing ignition actuator" that is completely different set up than on our trucks. Unfortunately theirs is easier to fix since they don't deal with airbags and less wires.

Bad News: one of the most annoying and difficult things I've had to change on my truck. I dropped the steering column and removed almost everything on it just to get to the center of the column to attach one small part. Some parts are spring loaded and will fly out. I needed another person to reattach this part. Most places quoted me at around 200 dollars.

·
Registered
36 Posts
ohh one last thing. The part you are changing/fixing isn't metal on our trucks. They are actually plastic rods. Older trucks have them made out of steel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts