Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got back from fishing today and when i got back into my bronco to move it, the key will not crank the engine at all. I have a remote start and it will still start the truck so i can pretty much mark off starter/solenoid/battery. the key still activates all the accessories when turned on and fuel pump kicks in too. just no crank. the outer lock ring (the thing you turn once the key is in) has not been all that stable, as it is turnable without the key in the ignition.

thru back searches, i have seen talk on the painful actuator,some broken rod inside (or is that the same as the actuator?),bad key switch, misalignment and interlock issues.

what are easiest things to check first? are there any ignition relays or fuses to check, or does it sound like it is definitely in the key switch. hope it is not that actuator you guys talk about that's a PITA to change. how cheap and how hard is it to change the keyswitch itself or is there a way of checking it first?

what's your take on this?

i am going to try a test in the morning, 1. start truck with remote start,2. put key into switch, turn to on position. 3. see if truck continues running. 4. turn key to off position to see if kills ignition and and motor running.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
the lock ring on my 94 is the same way, turns all over the place. when you turn the key all the way forward, does it stop? or does it keep going? as far as i know(havent had to do it yet on mine) you have to take the steering wheel off to get the ignition switch out. do you have a haynes manuel? that will help alot.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
ok, i got my haynes manuel in front of me now. you dont have to remove the wheel to get the key cylinder out. when you try and crank it does the key bounce back to the run position from the start position? it should by itself. there should be a rod that runs down the steering column, get a pair of pliers and push down on the rod and try and crank it that way. my friends old truck did this and we had to push down on the rod to crank it. if that dont work, then it could possibly be the key cylinder, the thing the key inserts to.

to take it out:
now you may have to lower the whole steering column to do this, im not totally sure about that. there is a braket that holds it up, should be only two bolts. after you do that:

place the key in the run position, thats the position just before you actually crank it.

remove the retaining screws(special torx bit)

and take the cylinder out of the colum. check it out to see if its boogered up any in the gears and what not.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
vallentinerocks said:
the lock ring only turns as far as it normally would both ways, not all the way around, but yeah, the key does not have to be in it to turn turn it whatsoever.
mine turns all the way around, i gues my lock ring is broke, oh well thats one more thing i get to fix.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If turning the key actuates the gauges etc., then the rod in the column is likely OK. Unless it's bent. An indication of this problem would be not having the ability to use "Accesory" position.

I would look at the switch on the bottom of the column the rod fits into. That's the actual ignition switch. The mounting screws might be loose, the indent for the actuating rod might be worn. Or the internal contacts for the start function might simply be corroded or burned away.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so my test failed...it didnt start with the remote start like it did last nite.
but...i had some corrosion on my positive battery leads, cleaned them,and it still wouldnt start...hooked up jumper cables to my firebird, and the bronco started right up! seems the battery had drawn down just enough to not start system. alternator seems to be charging. let it idle and charge up for a while and its still starting. battery is less than 2 years old but not ruling out possibility its not going bad. my stereo system does pull alot out of the battery if i play it loud long enough.
But for now, seems to have been the low battery voltage. atleast my ignition is obviously ok since it still starts it....thank god.

·
crank trigger
8,151 Posts
vallentinerocks said:
Ok, so my test failed...it didnt start with the remote start like it did last nite.
but...i had some corrosion on my positive battery leads, cleaned them,and it still wouldnt start...hooked up jumper cables to my firebird, and the bronco started right up! seems the battery had drawn down just enough to not start system. alternator seems to be charging. let it idle and charge up for a while and its still starting. battery is less than 2 years old but not ruling out possibility its not going bad. my stereo system does pull alot out of the battery if i play it loud long enough.
But for now, seems to have been the low battery voltage. atleast my ignition is obviously ok since it still starts it....thank god.
had the same prob myself the other day and my batt looked pretty clean at first glance. but it wasn't. :brownbag

·
Yeah- I did it-SO WHAT !!
512 Posts
Sound like your ignition switch (elec) is not working correctly.Use your Haynes wiring diagram and test light to test switch in its various positions.It may not have 12v in the start position and also sounds like it is not returning correctly when you let off.That can cause a current drain and kill the battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts