Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Friday my Ignition started binding up. I couldn't turn it backwards to accessories at all and it would get stuck in the start position, it took all my strength to disengage the starter.

So, I figure it's the ignition actuator rod that everyone talks about (Thanks for the writeup Bronco Boy) so I tore the steering column apart and found that the rod was fine, I went ahead and replaced it and put some grease on all the moving parts while I was in there. I got the column back together and I can engage the starter just fine now without any binding but I can't turn the key backwards at all.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Your key is severely worn, isn't it? Get a new one made BY THE NUMBERS - don't let them copy your worn one. Go someplace where they can measure your old key & then punch a new one with a numbered key machine. Not the grinder style.
Actually, I replaced the lock cylinder (and in turn got all new keys) when I bought the truck about 3 years ago so I knew there were no other copies of my keys floating around. So, the keys are still nice and sharp.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the key is sharp, the lock cyl. is new, the actuators are new & lubed, the ig.sw. moves normally, and the key won't turn back, right?
Yep

What happens when you pull the lock cyl out & try to turn the key back?
The key turns back freely

What happens with the key when the ig.sw. is disconnected?
You mean if the long rod isn't connected to the electrical switch on top of the column under the dash? Still jams.

Are you sure you got the actuator gear timed correctly when you installed the new actuators?
I'm not sure, it's aligned the same as it was when I tore into the column. Is it possible for the gear to jump position when it's all together? Can I tell if it's correct without going to deep into the column?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts