Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are fighting a Starter that stays energized when key returns to ON or Off.
Replacing solenoid did not solve.

While investigating, I found a mounting stud from the ignition switch module lying on the floor board. Not good!

1991 Ford Bronco Ignition Switch Module.jpg

Any suggestions on how to successfully reattach? MIG, JB Weld, Replace column?

·
Forward Some Money
5,046 Posts
This isn't in response to your stud question. I had a similar issue with the relay sticking. I had to put in several "new" ones to find one that worked.

·
Premium Member
9,999 Posts
First assuming the 91 has this set up inside the steering column.....

With the ignition off key out, if the starter stays engaged it might very well be the " upper ignition actuator" begining or is about break" inside, I went thru this myself years ago...

Refer to FSB member "bronco boy" who has an original post, 1985 actuator replacement/steering column etc. etc., is a picture step by step how to replace which is a $10.00 part mfg'd by Doorman found in most auto part store help sections......

It's been some time since I replaced my ignition switch, IIRC the nuts are 7/16" but I don't remember if the studs unscrew out or not.....is there a hole left in the column where the stud came out, take a bright light and try to look inside that hole and see if you can identify threads etc. etc. A quick fix might be to use a gob of JB Weld around the stud and hole, otherwise you may have to improvise maybe using a larger style radiator clamp making a hole for the stud and strap it on the column, maybe using a new bolt with head so the strap has something hold it to the column......maybe some wire/tie-wrap and run it thru the ignition switch hole to keep it in place.

For "starter relays" I would go with either Bosch or Motorcraft which are much better quality products.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Broken Ignition switch stud was tack welded

It appears that the stud was originally tack welded in place. It simply broke off while driving. :barf

Ignition Switch Mounting Stud Broken.jpg

This may also have something to do with our "Starter Stays Powered" problem.
:scratchhe

Tearing steering column loose now. Setting up MIG.

PS: New AC/Delco PMRG starter, Standard Motors 4 terminal starter relay, Starter cables on the way.:rockon

I agree with using MC parts as much as possible. However, I really like the 4 terminal relay wiring, whereas the starter does not stay powered. I cannot find a 4 terminal MC relay.
4 terminal starter-relay-wiring2.jpg

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=58609&d=1427059384

The Standard Motors was the best I could get my hands on at this time. I also agree that Bosch Makes quality parts. I'll take a Bosch PN# if somebody has one handy. I am in a bit of rush to get this thing on the road.

You have my thoughts. I am all ears for further critiquing and input if you have it. I'll be out for a bit with my head crammed into the dash.:toothless

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call me chicken. Too much wiring in the vicinity to weld. We are going to try JB Weld instead.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
x2 on the MC relay.
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/1036620

Try to knock the remaining stud through, then try to thread a SHORT bolt directly into the column's steel shell. It doesn't take a lot of force to keep the switch in-place, so don't crank on it. Use threadlocker to keep it from backing out.
It did not make a hole. It appears to have been tack welded to the surface.
I would really like to tack weld it with a MIG. There are so many electrical conductors in the vicinity, that I fear damaging something else pushing that much current through the steering column.:shrug

I am considering a large hose clamp and some JB Weld.:scratchhe

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Take the steering column out and apart, and then weld it in place. Re-assemble and you should be good to go.

KC

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We used a Pronto #CB044 or #5244 stainless steel hose clamp to reattach the stud to the steering column. Clamp is Size 44 = 2 1/4" -3 1/4" Diameter x 1/2" W, with 5/16" screw.
Ignition Switch Mounting Stud Clamp 2.jpg

We opened the clamp and secured it to a piece of wood because drilling stainless can be a challenge with home tools. We used a drill press to bore a hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the stud. We used a diamond dremel bit to increase the hole size until the stud threaded tightly into the clamp.

Next, we JB Welded the stud to the clamp for additional strength. Finally, we waited 24hrs to attach it to the steering column.
Ignition Switch Mounting Stud Fix Installed.jpg :thumbup

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JKossarides reinforced what Jacob and I were thinking about using a clamp. It made the most sense due to our schedule. He also mentioned JB Weld. We combined the two methods.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right on with the clamp. Also utilized JB Weld for extra strength. :rockon:toothless:rofl:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts