Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if any of you have or have had an Iguana. My girlfriend was just given one and she and I have some questions about it. Also, we wanted some ideas for a cage to build, the one that it is in, is ok, but I don't care for it...it's not safe for her.

Our quesions concern:
The use of heat rocks (good/bad)
The lights to be used (brands, colors, etc. - are blue lights from wally world just as good as the ones from the pet store, and what about black lights?)
Feeding habits
um, I think that's good for now.

Thanks so much! I have no idea about these types of critters and any help would be awesome.

Cheers!
Bill

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done some searching...but I would like to get some advise from anyone on here that may have some personal experience.

Cheers!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Use a heat rock. They love them. As for lighting I just used regular fluorescent lights and a 55 gal fish tank. I liked the fish tank better than a cage cause it was easier to keep at a constant temperature. Get one of those adhesive thermometers and attach it to the back of the tank so you can monitor the temp in the tank. Remember, they come from the tropics and are cold blooded. Mine also really liked water. I would run the bathtub about half full with warm water and he was like a child in a swimming pool. My Iguana really liked lettuce and fresh fruit. Also, there is a vitamin supplement paste made for them you can get at any pet store. The best advice I can give you is try to show it attention everyday. If you leave it in it's cage/tank and don't handle it much it will get mean. They require human contact and affection to keep them tame.

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
I would build as big as you can as far as tank, as they get to 6 feet in length, that's tail included. They love vines to crawl on, more things they have to hide and climb on th emore comfortable they are. Supply heat with a heat lamp, this is important, so get a thermometer to measure the temperature make sure the heat lamp is on one side, so they can move from hot to cold. Heat rocks are also not a bad idea, but be warned that if your tank is to cold, the iguana will always lay on it and burn his underside. Heat makes them digest their food easier. You should also have another light in there that produces UVB light. They love to feed on vegies, lots of vegies like lettuce. You can also buy a dry food for them, but vegies are great. IF you can create a steam or mist with a bubler, get it at a pets store, they like humidity. This can all be bought at PETCO, where the staff will be much more smarter at this stuff than petsmart. Don't forget to pick up a book, or a sheet that petco will provide on the basic information.

·
0 Posts
ive had 2 iguanas.

Yeah, heat rocks, sunshine or plant light.

I cut up romain lettuce and strawberries and other fruits for them.

I didnt have a cage though, I just let them cruise around the house. At the time i had a roomate and we would fill up the guest bathtub with 2 inches of water and they would crap in the water.

I had them for about 2 years. They can get pissed and bite very hard or whip you badly. I had the tip of my thumb bit off by one and been whipped more than once.

i was 18 at the time.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have raised 6 large iguanas during my life... one.. Gonzo was a monster dino... he got huge... I built them a large cage 7ft tall 6ft wide 3ft deep for them to hang in... with a big tree inside to climb.. lights/heat rocks etc.... they are great pets but a lot to clean up after... dont mess with the big ones when they are testy..lol. whack... I used heavy duty square welded wire to put around the wooden frame so they caould climb on the cage... the door was bulit same size of cage so it could just swing out for easy cleaning... hangin with the lizards....

·
Registered
401 Posts
do not let them live in aqariums.... they need air!.. bacteria and mold will grow in glass/acrylic container for them.... build them a nice cage... and use pine nuggets for a floor for them... you can just redo the bark every few weeks on the bottom to clean up after them...

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
10,765 Posts
Go To .King Snake for any info you need . My son's ig is about four foot long and doing well . As far as cages , aquariums are ok if small ( one foot and under . After that there is no such thing as a cage too big for an ig . Females have a better temperment (imo) . I too favor open air cages . But they need heat (heat lamp ) uv lighting ( uv floresent fixture ) humidity ( spray bottle .....spray ig a couple of times a day ) and a large pan of water ( not just for drinking , most igs like crapping in water ,so be prepared to clean water daily . We take her out daily and she either walks around or sits on the back of our old sofa . As far as tail whipping , yea that can get rough when they get in the MOOD . If my 85 lb. german sheperd could talk he would tell ya why he don't mess with the ig any more

1 - 9 of 9 Posts