Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently my truck has been acting like its being haunted..

It mainly happens after a drive on the freeway maybe 10-15 miles or more but it does happen outside those factors sometimes too.

So ill be getting off a freeway and turn left or right. All of a sudden the entire truck just starts pulling either way.

*Note* Power steering still works and im still able to turn, no weird noises*

but as I turn the steering wheel and front end develops an extreme pull. It wont return back center without excessive turning and force. It does however after a minute or turning opposite way sometimes return to normal steering.

Think of it as the car wanting to stay going right or left and not go straight. AFAIK its not the rotors or sticking calipers because it happens at random times in either direction.

if i can think of anything else ill let you guys know.

*Note2* Power steering pump, front drag links, tie-rods all changed in past year, tires are still in balance, there is a small alignment problem with the passenger front tire and its camber bushing*

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was the last change you made to the steering and/or alignment before this started happening?
This all started happening last year. But I dont know for sure. Im gonna say after the TRE's and Drag Links..

Before it become a constant pull it would be a rare sporadic jerk to the left on the freeway.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've had this happen before when a ujoint in the front axle went out. Every now and then it would bind up and not allow anything to recenter without a lot of force and when it would release it would go POP real loud and then everything would be fine.

It was the joint going bad and the bearing inside the spindle being bad allowing the stub to shift around.

Manual or auto hubs?

·
penis
3,320 Posts
4 things ccome to mind, Caliper siezing, Bad TBB bushings, hubs locking them selves (auto hubs mainly), Worn steering gear box.

I would check with the caliper (shims maybe missing) then check all your bushings, then look into your gear box and look at the steering shaft from the steering wheel to the gear box.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
Think of it as the car wanting to stay going right or left and not go straight. AFAIK its not the rotors or sticking calipers because it happens at random times in either direction.
Thats exactly why I WOULD say its a sticky caliper. the only thing not really adding up as much, is that it pulls in both directions. Often times when calipers freeze, they do release themselves, freeze, release, freeze... etc etc

Before it become a constant pull it would be a rare sporadic jerk to the left on the freeway.
again pointing towards sticky caliper.

4 things ccome to mind, Caliper siezing, Bad TBB bushings, hubs locking them selves (auto hubs mainly), Worn steering gear box
as far as a hub locking, it wouldn't really cause a pull like that b/c the xfer case would not be engaged. and even if the hubs did lock, it wouldn't create a pulling force like that.

I can't imagine it being just the box itself, i would get a buddy and turn the steering wheel and see if there is any play anywhere. see where the shafts, joints and box input/output, and see where its not all aligned tightly.

Best of luck.

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had this happen before when a ujoint in the front axle went out. Every now and then it would bind up and not allow anything to recenter without a lot of force and when it would release it would go POP real loud and then everything would be fine.

It was the joint going bad and the bearing inside the spindle being bad allowing the stub to shift around.

Manual or auto hubs?
manual hubs. no sounds of any kind. no movement of the hubs other than from lock to unlock.

4 things ccome to mind, Caliper siezing, Bad TBB bushings, hubs locking them selves (auto hubs mainly), Worn steering gear box.

I would check with the caliper (shims maybe missing) then check all your bushings, then look into your gear box and look at the steering shaft from the steering wheel to the gear box.
will do. Was thinking steering gear box but hopefully not.

Thats exactly why I WOULD say its a sticky caliper. the only thing not really adding up as much, is that it pulls in both directions. Often times when calipers freeze, they do release themselves, freeze, release, freeze... etc etc

I can't imagine it being just the box itself, i would get a buddy and turn the steering wheel and see if there is any play anywhere. see where the shafts, joints and box input/output, and see where its not all aligned tightly.

Best of luck.
no play in the steering at all. guess ill have to check calipers..

On a side note I did find I had a small leak in the front reservoir... maybe that should be a hint..

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would check the gearbox. if it does it on both on both sides then it would show that it wouldnt be a sticking caliper unless both were sticking. If you have a gearbox going bad you could see those symptoms. I would make sure you try to keep your ride off the road untill you get it resoloved regardless of what the problem is..becouse the probelm is only going to get worse..

·
Registered
42 Posts
what size rim/tires ? Its not just simply rubbing is it ? Start with the easy and small stuff then dig in to the bigger areas. Steering coloumn shaft going to the gear box rubbing on anything obvious ?

·
Registered
370 Posts

Manual or auto hubs?
I think you are on to something here. with the hubs and transfer case disengauged there will still be some friction to turn the axle shafts.
I would jack the front axle up, lock the hubs, turn the wheel to lock and then try to spin the tires by hand. If a u-joint is siezed, you will have a trouble spinning the tires.

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what size rim/tires ? Its not just simply rubbing is it ? Start with the easy and small stuff then dig in to the bigger areas. Steering coloumn shaft going to the gear box rubbing on anything obvious ?
31" tires in 15x8 rims..

AFAICT (as far as I can tell) nothing is rubbing.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Start at the top. What about the rag bushing? From there I would suspect the gear box. Tie rod ends should be pretty easy so see if there was a problem, but check for clearance issues (with the steering stabilizer and column too). TTB pivot bushings come to mind.

Other than that what is the small "alignment issue" you have with the camber bushing? When was the las time it was aligned?

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Start at the top. What about the rag bushing? From there I would suspect the gear box. Tie rod ends should be pretty easy so see if there was a problem, but check for clearance issues (with the steering stabilizer and column too). TTB pivot bushings come to mind.

Other than that what is the small "alignment issue" you have with the camber bushing? When was the las time it was aligned?
all the TRE and Drag links are fine from what I can tell, nothing is catching or rubbing when wheels are turning.

The alignment issue has to do with the passenger camber bushing needing to be replaced, the tire doesnt sit straight up and down its kinda angled top out.

Alignment was done a few weeks ago (gotta love lifetime alignments)

·
Premium Member
8,516 Posts

Manual or auto hubs?
:stupid

Seen it too with a sticking U Joint.

·
car ramrod
Irate4x4 .com
602 Posts
:stupid

Seen it too with a sticking U Joint.

Manual or auto hubs?
I a similar problem with my 88. The u joint would make all kinds of popping noises whenever I would go over any big bumps, and it would randomly pull hard left or right. I finally got around to replacing it shortly after plowing into a snow bank.:doh0715:

·
Registered
78 Posts
My cougar did that after I did the ball joints, I didn't tighten them emough and the wallowd the holes out, causing binding during turning. I mostly noticed it when exiting the freeway. It went fron understeer to snap oversteer. Check all the joints and make sure the castle nuts are tight enough. Good luck

·
Registered
408 Posts
I would say steering box. I had a chevy that did the EXACT same thing. I rebuilt the entire front end before I figured out it was the steering box.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts