Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this un-used blue/red stripe wire that was used to illuminate the stock radio. Since its not in use any longer do you think its ok to use for my amp remote turn on wire?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,346 Posts
Possibly. How many volts does it see? How many volts does the amp want to see? That's usually controlled by a circuit in the radio. It could only want to see 5 volts. That wire itself could be 5v too, as that was a common voltage for instrument clusters.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
886 Posts
Your new head unit doesn’t have a remote output wire?

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah your right, why doesn't this radio head have a remote wire? It has RCA low level outputs. All it has is.....
Red-Ignition
Orange-Battery Memory
Black-Ground

And speaker wire connectors-4Channels

Strange? Here's a few picks....

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
886 Posts
One of those blue ones isn't labeled REM? Normally remote output wires are blue on aftermarket stereos

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope. The blue are speaker wires. It’s a Custom AutoSound USA-5 radio from about 14 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just speaking from experience here, those RCA outputs may share an output with the speaker wires themselves. I ran into this on a radio recently. If you plugged anything into the RCAs, the colored speaker outputs turned off. And having installed many Custom Autosound radios in my time in the restoration shop, I can tell you they are not built for sound quality of versatility. You will need a proper radio with subwoofer output RCAs and a signal wire. I believe both retro sound and custom autosound make higher end radios that support subwoofers. They are however more pricey. And after trying a cheap radio, I was convinced that there was no excuse for a quality head unit. I went with a Pioneer DHM-2500NEX. The screen is remote mount. So I fabricated a bracket that mounted it to the factory radio locations without cutting a single part of my dash and mounted the main unit behind the dash. And it sounds killer.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,346 Posts
Odd. A power antenna wire could also be used, but I dont see that either.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that 78Ranger, my goal was to keep it simple and classic.
I agree BigBlue, It’s just so weird because the manual indicates a yellow antenna remote wire. Maybe that was optional.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,799 Posts
Something like that may work for you also.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
As to the original question, don't use the illumination wire for an amp turn on.
#1 Its dimmable
#2 it will only power the amp when the lights are on, as it ties into the dash lights.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey thanks for that-cant beat the price!
Another radio problem, I can't get my FM stations to come on the display.
I disconnected it and put the radio on my Jeep seat. Connected the 12v power, ground and antenna and nothing. I even drove out from under the pine trees but nothing. The display lights up but no stations. Think its fried?

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey thanks. yeah thats a dimmable switch-not good. I think I'll order what CrazyBronco suggested.
Good news, I found the yellow remote turn-on wire. It was pulled out of the harness and hanging behind the dash. Bad news, I still can't get any signals to the face place after when the unit lights up...strange.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey thanks. yeah thats a dimmable switch-not good. I think I'll order what CrazyBronco suggested.
Good news, I found the yellow remote turn-on wire. It was pulled out of the harness and hanging behind the dash. Bad news, I still can't get any signals to the face place after when the unit lights up...strange.
The remote turn on shouldn’t be yellow. Standard radio wire code has the remote wire as being blue. You should have the red wire connected to your ignition switch and the yellow connected to direct power(battery.)

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it straightened out Ranger. Thanks for the update.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts