Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, sold the Bronco, but now I own yet another Ford, an 87 F-150. So, not a bronco, but as it is similar in many respects, figured I'd come here to ask for help.

Just got the thing last weekend, only been driving it on the road these past two days. So today, coming back from a friend's house, I look down and notice that my speedometer isn't reading. Which is troubling, because I need the trip odemeter to work because the gas guage doesn't work.

Haven't had time to fully investigate it, as its dark and raining out, but I assume that the speedometer cable broke. The Hayne's manual has been its typical no help, and only has some vague instructions for servicing the speedometer cable gear. So I'm more interested in how horrible its going to be getting behind the dash on this to unscrew the cable, and availability of such a part.

Would appreciate any advice in advance before I tackle yet another Ford problem. <sigh>

Learning slowly...
Boots

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Well if it's 4Wheel drive your speedo cable is pluged into your T-case. I would check there first to see if that is the problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed is 4wd, should have given some specs.

87 EFI 5.0, 435, 4wd. And a 3" body lift (ugh. But I'm too lazy to take it out.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, pulled the cable off at the transfer case. Spinning the end of the cable by hand moves the needle on the speedometer, so i guess its more sinister than a broken cable. Slid the speedometer gear assembly out of the case, hooked it all up to the cable, spinning that also moves the needle. So I'm to assume the problem is with the gear inside the transfer case? I think I saw somewhere you can get at this by pulling the rear output and the rear oil seal. I'll look around some more and see what I can find.

Any input?

Boots

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Teeth on the speedo gear (green) are in perfect shape, not chipped or damaged or anything. So I gather its the gear on the inside of the t-case.

While I had the speedo cable unhooked and out the side of the rig, i was turning the cable to see the needle move, I found that with the entire gear assembly on, and turning the speedo gear, about half the time it wouldn't move the needle. If I moved it around, twisted and pushed just right, etc, and it would move the needle again, and then something would change, and then nothing.

Just for grins, I put the whole assembly back together, stuck it back in its socket in the t-case, put the clamp back on, and decided to take it for a spin down the road to see what happened. Lo and behold, the speedo works again! So I get all the way down the road, turned around and on the way back, took the opportunity dropping into third gear to jump on it and let the 5.0 run (The first V8 I've owned, I'm enjoying it :D ) and the needle jumps and the drops back to nothing.

It kicked up once more as I was driving back to the house. So I'm thinking something is just not riding properly in that housing, so I'll be stopping at the Ford dealer sometime this week to price some parts and see if I can't tighten things up there a little bit.

Is there a way to inspect that internal gear without pulling the yoke and oil seal? Is it visible from the outside, or does it have to be pulled?

Learning more about it all the time.
Boots

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a similar prob, replace the gear, I bet that fixes it. It runs around $25. Lot cheaper and easier than tearing the case apart. BTW, could only find the new gear at the dealer. (was in a small town though)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts