Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we had a really icy day yesterday. It rained here in Anchorage on top of all the existing ice and snow we had. I tried to negotiate this hill in my other daily driver, only to make it half way up the hill then slide back down numerous times. The last ride backwards down the hill, it went sideways on me. Unfortunately, it was right in front of the Anchorage Daily News building. I saw the photographer snapping pics from a distance, found it on the front page today. It's funny now, quite stressful at the time. I sat there waiting for a sand truck for 2 hours, but that was 2 hours less I had to spend driving on that mess.:thumbup

I haven't figured out how to do pics yet, but heres a link.

http://www.adn.com

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
btw, to post pics do
[*img*]http://url-of-image[*/img*]
without the *s

Are those things RWD?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ubermich said:
Are those things RWD?
Yes they are. Generally they handle extremely well in the ice and snow due to the weight of the engine in the rear. We don't use chains or studs or anything like that. The have ABS and traction control that applies the brakes when the wheels spin. They also have a retarder that helps slow the bus when you take your foot off the gas.

The traction control prevented me from getting up the hill. Although the wheels were spinning, I was making progress until it kept applying the brakes. The retarder causes the ass end to swing around on you when the roads are as icy as yesterday.

Thanks for the tip on the pics.

Charley

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bronco Rob said:
You were driving the bus when that happened?
Rob, thanks for posting the pic!

I actually made it to the top of the hill once, had to stop at the stop sign due to traffic, and got stuck again:doh0715: We had so many buses stuck, I was instructed to try to get myself out of it. So I tried to guide it as I was sliding backwards, but once it went sideways, I quit trying. Luckily I only had 4 customers on board. I had them walk up the hill to meet another bus.
Once their safety was assured, It took a lot of the stress away.

Just before this pic was taken, I was standing on the other side of the bus watching cars coming (sliding) down the hill, trying to avoid the bus by turning into a parking lot, but smashing into a guardrail instead.:shocked

All it took was a little sand and I was on my way. This was easy compared to what I faced later on in the morning. Too bad it took them 5 hours to figure out that the roads were too dangerous. Luckily no damage all day.

I had no idea driving a city bus would be so interesting.

Charley

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,526 Posts
Hahahaha! All drivers have a story like that to tell, but my slide story has nothing frozen in it. My first car was a '78 Fairmont, straight six and a three on the floor; I was driving down a steep hill on the highway that goes by the Boeing 747/767/777 plant in Everett, WA. The rain was pouring down, as it
always does in Western Washington, and I get to the bottom of the hill to turn left. I lucked out that the light was green, but my luck instantly changed
when I went into the turn at 12 MPH and I instantly went into a 270 degree
a$$ end slide. I ended up facing oncoming traffic, who went into a honkfest
as I'm trying to restart my car and back out of the way. Sheesh! Give a guy
a break!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Holy cow, I bet something was getting the puckering factor.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Holy cow, I bet something was getting the puckering factor.
Yeah, pucker factor is right. This little ice incident was in February. I've had a more puckering incident since then. About a month ago, I had a 22 y/o guy ride his bike off the curb not 3 feet in front of my bus while I was doing 30 MPH down the road. Nothing like seeing a guy and his bike go under the front of your bus while stomping the brake pedal through the floor. This idiot not only survived, but he crawled out from under the bus with only a scraped knee. The bike was a total loss though. I still think I was more shaken up than he was. He just kinda shrugged it off, refused medical attention and went on his merry way pusheing his wrecked bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts