Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i like MP3s. so i used napster when it started and then audio galaxy aftet that. i tried kazaa and it seemed to interfere with my task bar. eventually my cousin told me about imesh. my computer will not open any IE windows. none. cant open explorer based anything. i tried the support board at imesh and they werent very helpful. does anyone have a repair utility i can try? like PC Doctor or something along those lines? something that will fix not just scan, say whats wrong and hold me up for $19.99 to make the fixes. thanks

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Start by uninstalling all the crap software that has ended up on your pc. All the music download software, all the IE plug-ins, hot bars and any other software you don't need.

Reboot.

Then download Ad Aware or some other spyware detection program. Get rid of all the crap it finds.

Reboot.

If you have WIN2K or XP run the latest service pack. WIN2K (SP4) / XP (SP1a)

Reboot

Then run the IE 6 SP1 install.

Reboot

Then install the latest security rollup for IE6 (Nov 03).

Reboot

Then install the blaster patch and the WIN2K / XP (depending on your OS) security patch that came out in September.

Reboot

Then go to www.trendmicro.com and scan with their free online anti virus scanner.

Then you should be OK.

Now don't install file/music sharing software or you will be doing this again.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,449 Posts
yea, the trend micro is a greeaaat scanner....i would first dump all the software you installed within the last week then dump the file sahring software and only use WinMX....and if any of that doesn't work update with the patches like stated above....usualy with a repair software it saves images of how things are setup from previous know good configurations and uses that to fix the prob so it might be too late for that....

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I would re download internet explorer or their fix package from their website depending on what explorer you use.When it downloads the files it should go in the same designated folder but dont install the program.Sometimes while uninstalling software I have accidently erased explorer files associated with certain programs.This should put a copy of the files or replace the missing.I didnt have to redo anything favorites outlook etc.It didnt change anything.Just a reminder what worked for me might not work for you.I too value my 50 gig of music and cant afford to lose it.Proceed at own risk. I keep my music on a second drive with no other files,this helps against virus and exe issues.Good luck

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm with MDA, scrub your PC of EVERYTHING you don't use.

mda said:
Start by uninstalling all the crap software that has ended up on your pc. All the music download software, all the IE plug-ins, hot bars and any other software you don't need.

Reboot.

Then download Ad Aware or some other spyware detection program. Get rid of all the crap it finds.

Reboot.

If you have WIN2K or XP run the latest service pack. WIN2K (SP4) / XP (SP1a)

Reboot

Then run the IE 6 SP1 install.

Reboot

Then install the latest security rollup for IE6 (Nov 03).

Reboot

Then install the blaster patch and the WIN2K / XP (depending on your OS) security patch that came out in September.

Reboot

Then go to www.trendmicro.com and scan with their free online anti virus scanner.

Then you should be OK.

Now don't install file/music sharing software or you will be doing this again.
a

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with MDA 110%. Follow that list to the "T" and you should be good to go. Also there is a program out there that I use, that is called 'Kazaa Lite'. It is the same thing as Kazaa, but it has no spyware, adware, or banners. Also it is not as much of a resource hog as normal Kazaa.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Tiny said:
I agree with MDA 110%. Follow that list to the "T" and you should be good to go. Also there is a program out there that I use, that is called 'Kazaa Lite'. It is the same thing as Kazaa, but it has no spyware, adware, or banners. Also it is not as much of a resource hog as normal Kazaa.

Not 100% true on the Kaaza Lite. It does not install them on the first round but Kaaza Lite gets background updates and I have personally seen spyware added as Kaaza Lite is updating.

It's a catch 22, if you want to get free downloads you going to get crap that screws up your pc. Either buy your tunes or rebuild the pc every so often.

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
Just uninstall IE6 and reinstall, im willing to bet that alone will fix the problem with your issues with "anything explorer type" as you said.

Avast.com is a good free virus scanner, download and let in run in the background all the time. And run ad aware every so often.

Don't download music, if you have high speed. Most companies are tracking for the DMCA, and I know two people on my block who have been caught now.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok first of all, i am back. second, thanks to MDA. the adaware removed alot of crap and restored my ability to use IE windows. but then i could not access the net. my aol was not working or IE to access the net. i eventually reinstalled 98 and i am back. thanks, AXE

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,119 Posts
Nice work MDA! Like it came right out of a MS support script! At least back when they were american. :thumbup
Glad to see your back Axe!

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
My friend had the EXACT same problem. You cant just reinstall IE, because you cant open ANY explorer windows, it just crashes before it loads. That means control panel, ie, windows explorer, etc, etc.

I had to reinstall XP on his system to get it to work, and now he is unistalling all of his kazaa crap to make sure it doesnt happen again.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it was weird cause i could get IMs and mail, but my atomic clock synchronizer and Download Accel program would or could not connect to the net at all. that should have just been a setting that could have been changed. i just could not find it to change it. luckily i could trans most of my files to the D section of my drive and it was saved when i did the restore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts