Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an '82 with a 351 in it for $400. I was told that all it needed was to have the timing set, and the thing would fire right up... So i set the distributor with the number 1 piston at top dead center, and rewired it with the proper wires going to the proper plugs and such. NOW i can't get the f'ing starter to crank. I checked the starter on a machine, and it's fine. So i thought my next problem would have been the solenoid, so i replaced it with a borg warner one, and now the thing STILL wont crank. I've tried it from several different batteries, and the only thing i get is one or two lazy cranks IF THAT! Any ideas? I love this truck, but it would be way better running. I've already got a long-travel kit in mind, and it's getting ready for a roll cage, but i've never run into problems like this with a motor before... OH YEAH, the motor is BRAND NEW with 200 miles on it. I have the paper work proving that from when i bought it. any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks.

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
check your basics first, fuses, ignition coil etc... also you can run the codes i belive (may be wrong) by doing a self test and decoding the flashes of the chk engine light. Use search to find the prosess for it or a manual

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
no codes on an 82.
So let me get this straight. You bought a bronco with a brand new motor in it, yet you need to put a new timing chain in it. That makes no sense at all. Did it run before you replaced the timing chain...I'm confused, you need to explain this a bit more.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
colinlesser said:
check your basics first, fuses, ignition coil etc... also you can run the codes i belive (may be wrong) by doing a self test and decoding the flashes of the chk engine light. Use search to find the prosess for it or a manual

Collin that is some damn sound advice. I am proud of you.

You can also try and jump the terminals and see if it will engage or check the voltage to the starter and make sure that is good. hopefully steve83 will get on here and give you some more advice. Start diagnosis with the haynes and make sure everything is good...TPS, j/k collin had to do it, but your ignition and all that good stuff. Who rebuilt the motor, or installed it? call them and see.

ken

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
waltman said:
no codes on an 82.
So let me get this straight. You bought a bronco with a brand new motor in it, yet you need to put a new timing chain in it. That makes no sense at all. Did it run before you replaced the timing chain...I'm confused, you need to explain this a bit more.

No he said he needed to set the timing, not put a chain in there.

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
No he said he needed to set the timing, not put a chain in there.
I see that now. I thought he said he had to put in a timing set.
Well, you seem to have it coverred...

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
1450 Bronco Masher said:
i'm having some major issues...
Man you arent the only one. I'v got this rash near my Ya..........

Oh............Sory, not that kinda thread.

My bad:histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, all the wires look legit... The hot wire comes off the battery and into the solenoid, then runs straight to the starter. there is no ground either to the solenoid or to the starter that i can see.. i was just guessing that the started grounded to the block... and yeah, the timing chain is in there, but the dick head before me changed the distributor to a vacuum advance one, so everything was all fubar when i got it....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Masher;
I would pull all the plugs and squirt a shot of oil in every hole. Then take a socket on the end of the crankshaft and make sure it turns over smoothly. If it does then I guess I would run a jumper cable directly from the negitive post on the battery to the starter mounting bolt. Not any of the terminals but to the mounting bolt. That should tell you if you are getting a good ground to the starter. If it still doesn't help. then I would go and check every positive cable conection.
Also if you still have the timing off too far it won't want to turn over. You may want to check that again. Also I would check to make sure you have the fireing order right. It happens.
Hope this helps. Steve

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Where does the ground cable from the battery connect to?It should attach to the engine block or cylinder head,make sure there isn't any paint between the cable end and where it mounts to.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
It could be a tired starter. Can you get hold of another starter to prove/disprove. As said before check all cables and grounds. It could also be that the timing is to far advanced. Try retarding it some. (Turn the distributor in the same direction the rotor goes to retard timing)

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
k1w1t1m said:
It could be a tired starter. Can you get hold of another starter to prove/disprove. As said before check all cables and grounds. It could also be that the timing is to far advanced. Try retarding it some. (Turn the distributor in the same direction the rotor goes to retard timing)
THAT'S IT !

retard the timing a tad until she starts, runs and breaks in those new rings. Once she's broken in, then set the timing back up to stock.

If you don't believe all the advice on grounds (you should) then use your booster cables to 1.) ground the engine to the negative battery post and 2.) assist the positive starter lead by attching the other end to the positive battery post.

Sixlitre

p.s./
Do what soup 87 is suggesting first and for heaven's sake pull off the oil sender and make sure it's-a-squirtin oil out before you start her.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
make sure the connections are clean and tight. i ran the neg to a good cleaned spot on the block and a seprate 10 guage to the frme and body at the neg side of the battery. there should be a couple ground straps from the back of the motor to the firewall if missin and no other gorund wires connected the path to ground is lost....rubber motor mounts / rubber tranny mount / spring bushings. like posted above use a jumper cable to a non-painted bolt or metal spot on the motor and then the other to the neg battery and see if the starter spins. post results...mike

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Try moving the plug up 1 and back 1 on the dizzy..Still might be off between plugs....So You might be still too far advanced.And not able to correct it without rotating the plug wires to get the advancing the motor needs to start...Its free....Also If I sold any car/truck for under $500...I would put my shnititest battery I had.....Go with your easiest freebies first......

·
Registered
7 Posts
double check your timing i had the same problem and i found that the no 1 piston was on the exhaust stroke putting the distributor 180 deg off it didnt stop engine rotation completely but slowed it way down a weak battery or bad ground could cause the rest of the problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts