Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my first post here. :chili:

I have an '88 Bronco w/ a 351W and a C6. It has had a knocking sound for the last 30K (rod knock?). There is 220K on that motor. The other day the water pump went out on it and it overheated and the knock got real loud when it overheated. So rather than just put a new water pump I decided to buy a rebuilt longblock from ford-motors-engines.com before it siezes.

My Bronco is 100% stock except a K&N drop in filter.

I am curious as to what things I should keep in mind replacing this motor. And what cam should I get. Should I stick with the stock cam? I would like to get some performance cam if possible. I want it to be ok for emissions too. Also, what exhaust headers that are bolt-on and are emissions legal.

Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
I have a 351W in my 88. Rebuild it or get another 351W. Hedman Headers make a good set of headers. Got me a pair of shortys on mine. Bolt on easy and make sure you get yourself a good set of gaskets and header bolts/washers... Be careful as to what cam you get, just in case the computer doesn't jive with it. I can't remember what cam I put in mine (been a while since rebuilding my motor), but, it wasn't too much of a jump from the stock cam.. Got a little more beef out of it with an upgraded cam.

It all really depends on how much jack you got to spend.. My whole rebuild w/ headers and such came to about 1400.00.. I believe.. I will find out which cam I put in so it gives ya an idea.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, well I have read a few threads and it seems some people have a helluva time getting to the spark plugs with shorty headers.
I read someone mention cutting a hole in the fender to get access, but I'm not sure if that worrks or not.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,857 Posts
when you ordered that motor you can have them install a cam before it ships to you. also did you opt for the 351ho or plan jane 351? call compcams, and crane to see what they suggest for a good computer friendly cam for your motor. 220k is alot of miles im suprised it lasted that long.

late

·
Registered
506 Posts
Welcome to FSB man! Where you at in OR? I am in Ashland.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,857 Posts
Badblack88 I was born in Ashland, grew up in GP and Central Point . livin in Central oregon now.

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Yeah, just ask them to put a nice torque producing cam in there that is computer friendly. You can prob just give them some Comp numbers and they can grind em for you. 35-255-5 or 35-235-3 look good from Comp.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kemicalburns said:
when you ordered that motor you can have them install a cam before it ships to you. also did you opt for the 351ho or plan jane 351? call compcams, and crane to see what they suggest for a good computer friendly cam for your motor. 220k is alot of miles im suprised it lasted that long.

late
I havn't ordered the engine yet. This is the motor I am thinking of getting: FOR-351WHOLB-1 And yes they can put in an aftermarket cam.

badblack88 said:
Welcome to FSB man! Where you at in OR? I am in Ashland.
I live in Hillsboro.

·
FSB warrior
6,114 Posts
tarnationsauce2 said:
Hmm, well I have read a few threads and it seems some people have a helluva time getting to the spark plugs with shorty headers.
Your right to a point on that statement. Its equal length shortys that are the real pain... I wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy!!

good luck with the motor.... Keep in mind a full rebuild can cost between 1700 and 2200 for parts, machining and putting the bottom end together you can find a brand new long block for a comparable price!! start looking at adds in Mustang mags, Central Coast, CHP, there are many others

1 - 11 of 11 Posts