Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been 2 years now since my Bronco had the electrical failure on it's way back home after discovering the Transmission shop did a less than proper job on it. I've just not had the time to dig under the hood and trace down where the smoke came from. I suspect it was the ECM since it came from under the driver side and there was A LOT of smoke but no real fire. It's just sat in the front yard since it was towed home. I really don't want to get rid of it, but I don't want it to rot away either.
There's a few things wrong with it, aside from the transmission needing to be taken down and verified that the clutch was actually installed and tightened down properly. The front drive shaft needs a new U-joint, and I was in the process of converting the AC over to R134a. The body and Engine are in good shape. Even the Transmission is in good shape, it was only the clutch that went bad in it. It's all original, uncut, not lifted. Just like it was when my Father in Law ordered it back in '92.

I'm kind of at a loss and just not really sure what to do. I've had a couple of people, over the past few months ask me if I wanted to sell it. I didn't really know what to tell them.

Any advice?

·
Premium Member
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, if I had the time and help to get it running, I wouldn't sell it. It's kind of a family Heirloom since it's been in the family since new. It's also a pretty rare model since it's a later model 4.9L manual Bronco. By 92, most were 5.0L.

I'd like to keep it, I just don't have what's needed right now to get it back running, I think. Between back and shoulder problems, and simply being too fat to be crawling under the dash to get to everything.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,411 Posts
Not sure where your located...
Maybe some Ford machanic, or rather do it as a side gig type of person that would be able to help you out. Since it sounds like a time thing.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
7,585 Posts
Just kicking ideas around here. Since it's a family heirloom is there anyone else in the family who'd want it & still keep it in the family? Or be willing to help do the work with your guidance?

Any FSB members local? You might put your approximate location in a thread title to see if any of us are close enough & able to jump in. Any young guys in your neighborhood, church, work, etc. that could be hired reasonably to follow your instructions?

I ask that last part because there are 2 young guys at my work who are eager to learn in a world where most kids don't anymore. It is satisfying to teach them & they are always pleased to pick new skills. I haven't put them under the hood, but for crawling in the attic & crawl space work they've done pretty well. It's my old knees that slow me down, & so far that hasn't affected wrenching.

I don't know if you have anyone in your circle who'd be a possibility, but it seems like there are a few still out there who would like to jump in in a world that doesn't expect them to do so.

·
Super Moderator
23,672 Posts
Yo John,
I feel your pain! After so many recent surgeries, I depend on our offspring and grandchildren to crawl under our 96 for everything.
Thus, I believe you should sell your 92.

As Ken suggested and perhaps you can have a local yard replace the transmission or clutch, then sell it.
And domyiu have anyone who can pull driver kick panel to inspect the PCM area and PCM Connector?

·
Registered
628 Posts
He’s listed in Lakeland Florida if there’s any south east guys that can help.

·
Premium Member
4,063 Posts
With how old these trucks are theres no way around it you will have to work on it and do whatever is required. That or have family/friends help you.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,633 Posts
Probably my biggest fear with my Bronco: electrical issue(s).

·
Premium Member
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been trying to get Johnny interested in things like this. He's 16 now and I've really been making him do all sorts of things around the house that just aren't commonly done or skilled at doing anymore. I've had him doing a lot of the general maintenance on my Truck. He's been doing a lot of electrical work. The pump motor went out on the pool, a ceiling fan had to be replaced, we changed out a few light fixtures inside and out along with occasional switch and outlet replacements. He's done some minor plumbing work too. Life skills that I've been learning aren't part of life anymore. Over the years, in my neighborhood,my neighbor and I have become the general "GoTo" people when something minor needs being done, or opinions are needed. I'm 49, he's 43 and, it seems, that people younger than us just don't know how to do anything except call someone else to do it. I don't want my son to be like those people. But, at the same time, I have to understand that I can't force it on him.

I think, if I could just get it running again, everything else would fall into place and it would do more than just sit in the front yard.

·
Super Moderator
23,672 Posts
Yo John,
Call local yards and tell them the major issues and ask what they can do to get it on the road.I spent many days at yards when my dad and uncles would swap engines into tgeir LaSalles fron Caddies, etc My job was to slide down and try to press the brake pedal.😎

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,633 Posts
A thought I've been contemplating for several years:

A pre-empted strike on any possible future electrical issues by replacing entire wiring harness.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've been trying to get Johnny interested in things like this. He's 16 now and I've really been making him do all sorts of things around the house that just aren't commonly done or skilled at doing anymore. I've had him doing a lot of the general maintenance on my Truck. He's been doing a lot of electrical work. The pump motor went out on the pool, a ceiling fan had to be replaced, we changed out a few light fixtures inside and out along with occasional switch and outlet replacements. He's done some minor plumbing work too. Life skills that I've been learning aren't part of life anymore. Over the years, in my neighborhood,my neighbor and I have become the general "GoTo" people when something minor needs being done, or opinions are needed. I'm 49, he's 43 and, it seems, that people younger than us just don't know how to do anything except call someone else to do it. I don't want my son to be like those people. But, at the same time, I have to understand that I can't force it on him.

I think, if I could just get it running again, everything else would fall into place and it would do more than just sit in the front yard.
Does he have his own vehicle? Would he want to drive the bronco once it’s running? Kids have way more respect for something they had to work on.

·
Premium Member
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does he have his own vehicle? Would he want to drive the bronco once it’s running? Kids have way more respect for something they had to work on.
I don't think so. He wants a Truck, or a jeep. I guess the Bronco just isn't "Country" enough for him..... I don't understand the logic. I've tried to explain to him how cool he'd be among his friends if he drove something this unique, but it hasn't really motivated him. He's a teenager.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,411 Posts
The distance makes this not possible but Im likely not the only one.... I'd work on that for a very reasonable rate if you where in Indiana, just to get it running again. These trucks are what I look for, with these kinds of issues, not to flip per say, but get back on the road and drive for a few years till the next one comes along.

Also being manual, I'd have back up plan of Holley Sniper as an absolute worst case, as it would replace most of the possibly melted stock ecm and wiring.

·
Premium Member
35,058 Posts
I don't think so. He wants a Truck, or a jeep. I guess the Bronco just isn't "Country" enough for him..... I don't understand the logic. I've tried to explain to him how cool he'd be among his friends if he drove something this unique, but it hasn't really motivated him. He's a teenager.

·
Premium Member
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The distance makes this not possible but Im likely not the only one.... I'd work on that for a very reasonable rate if you where in Indiana, just to get it running again. These trucks are what I look for, with these kinds of issues, not to flip per say, but get back on the road and drive for a few years till the next one comes along.

Also being manual, I'd have back up plan of Holley Sniper as an absolute worst case, as it would replace most of the possibly melted stock ecm and wiring.
I think I saw that on Stacy David's show awhile back. bad part is, with my Bronco already being an EFI, that only solves the fuel system problem. The ECM also has everything to do with the ignition.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts