Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a class mate that groceries were cheaper across the line. Since I needed some stuff, was close to E on the tank and our money is within .5 cents of each other, what the heck.

After waiting in line this morning to get into Blaine for about 1 1/2 hours, i fill up my tank and put in 27.196 gallons @ 3.199 a gallon. It came to $87.00 I ended up paying $91.58 Canadian and we are almost at par. Actaully as far as I'm concerned we ARE at par.

This was at the truck crossing. I then decided to get a bite to eat and went to the peace arch side, about 1 mile away to find a place that served awsome chicken, at least they did about a decade ago. I couldn't find the place but found that gas was .20 cents more a gallon...WTF?

Since I couldn't find the chicken place, I went back to where I was and hit the Burger King. They charge 6% difference...WHATEVER. I get my food and then go to the food store to do some grocery shopping.

A good deal? I don't think so. Some things were alright, while others were comparable. If I spent about $500 I would make all the hastle worth while, otherwise it was a waist of my morning and part of my afternoon. I endeed up buying some Alaskan snow crab that cost the same as up here and came back.

What gets me is that Blaine depends on cross border shopping. Instead of selling everything at par, they insist on gouging Canadians. Stores up here would sell items at par to get the influx of business, but I guess the pride of the locals, or the State as a whole is too much to admit that the dollar is equal right now.

Personally, I will never go back across the line to do my shopping or buy gas. I saved about $30, maybe and used up $10 of gas waiting in line. It's not worth it to me. I see no insentive for me to go across the line to get gouged.

WOW! I started out with just a small rant on my mind, and it turned into much more.

Well, anyways, I just think it sucks and once again, the people of Blaine will not get any of my hard earned money and I don't understand why anyone would go down there to waste their money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We live 10 minutes from Oroville Washington and last time we were down (about a month ago), they gave us money back. Our money is still at par there......

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I considerred exchanging my money before going down, but then I figured I wouldn't get gouged. I also didn't want to convert $500 or so into American and then back to Canadian. I would end up losing there too.
I can remember our money being accepted at par when our money was worth much less.

·
Registered
772 Posts
They say every dollar you spend locally gets spent three more times before being absorbed through overhead.

Taking $500 to the USA means $1500 got taken out of your local economy and for that I am glad you learned a lesson.

Jeff

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
I'd agree EXCEPT

for auto parts guys. We're getting it up the keester still up here. I priced the exact same Cardone rebuilt dist for two of the Mopars.

Best I could do in Ottawa (20 odd miles North of me) was $95.00, with the average price $130.00 and some FAR over that.

I call the Advance in Ogdensburg NY (30 miles South of me) and it's $45.00, same number :shocked

I went down snapped two (for less than the price of one), did some shopping and returned, without filling up.

Car parts books, magazines and quite a bit more is still 50% or even higher mark up, up here.

Sixlitre

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd agree EXCEPT

for auto parts guys. We're getting it up the keester still up here. I priced the exact same Cardone rebuilt dist for two of the Mopars.

Best I could do in Ottawa (20 odd miles North of me) was $95.00, with the average price $130.00 and some FAR over that.

I call the Advance in Ogdensburg NY (30 miles South of me) and it's $45.00, same number :shocked

I went down snapped two (for less than the price of one), did some shopping and returned, without filling up.

Car parts books, magazines and quite a bit more is still 50% or even higher mark up, up here.

Sixlitre
That is BS. Why are we still paying so much for stuff?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
That is BS. Why are we still paying so much for stuff?
Initially I bought the line "well we have so much stuff in the warehouse we already paid for at the higher prices".

Then I clued in that stuff that took more than 1 or 2 days was coming in from the states, THAT DAY at those daily rates of exchange !

After that I said F#@& em' ! and crossed the border.

Took a buddy down who is a real hound for novels and books. He had a freakin' field day. He's showing me the prices on the book "$5.95 American $9.95 Canadian" ! The day we went over our buck was higher:shocked

Sixlitre

·
Registered
772 Posts
I hope all local parts,book,furniture,electronic stores all go bankrupt.

Then the manufacturing will stop and the service industries behind them.

Then probably the job you and I have....

We'll show them bastards how to save $50.

Go go cross border shopping

Same exact thing happened after world war 2 when made in japan came on the scene and ruined north American manufacturing....why would I pay $15 for the radio that Jim's company makes when I can buy this one for $8?

Now we import everything and mortgage ourselves to the hilts to own it all because we all work for less and less $$$$ directly related to foreign competition affecting every single aspect of our lives.

Such short sightedness makes me want to puke.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope all local parts,book,furniture,electronic stores all go bankrupt.

Then the manufacturing will stop and the service industries behind them.

Then probably the job you and I have....

We'll show them bastards how to save $50.

Go go cross border shopping

Same exact thing happened after world war 2 when made in japan came on the scene and ruined north American manufacturing....why would I pay $15 for the radio that Jim's company makes when I can buy this one for $8?

Now we import everything and mortgage ourselves to the hilts to own it all because we all work for less and less $$$$ directly related to foreign competition affecting every single aspect of our lives.

Such short sightedness makes me want to puke.
Come on man, I know where you are coming from, but...come on.

I have no problem spending a few more dollars to support my economy. In fact several years ago, I boycotted all American produce because of Arnold, governor of California. He was trying to stop all filming of movies in vancouver, because it was taking work away from the Americans. Even though the percentage was small he was making a stink about it and I didn't like that so I stopped buying produce from California. I paid a lot more in some cases to ensure my princaples were not muddied. After about a year, I started buying the cheaper Californian produce.

But you know what, that is the way it is now. We are now in a global economy. Nothing is for sure anymore. There is no such thing as working for one company when you are 18 and retiring when you are 65 at the same company.

In todays economic climate, there is constant change, weather you like it or not. I will support Canadian made products first, but if the savings is considerable to buy from another country, as long as it is not cheap Chinese made crap, I have no choice but to buy it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It sucks...the lift kit(Rough country) I can get here for my truck is still twice the price after shipping for the kit I am buying off of Ebay.....and it comes with more stuff in the kit that I don't have to buy. I'm also having it shipped USPS so I don't get screwed hard at the border with brokerage fee's. UPS and Fex X suck for shipping up here.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sucks...the lift kit(Rough country) I can get here for my truck is still twice the price after shipping for the kit I am buying off of Ebay.....and it comes with more stuff in the kit that I don't have to buy. I'm also having it shipped USPS so I don't get screwed hard at the border with brokerage fee's. UPS and Fex X suck for shipping up here.
I had a york compressor sent via UPS from New York and I had to pay over 100 bones to the UPS guy for border fees before he would give it to me and that was for a couple of hundred towards the york

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
I had a york compressor sent via UPS from New York and I had to pay over 100 bones to the UPS guy for border fees before he would give it to me and that was for a couple of hundred towards the york
Ship everything USPS if you can.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought USPS was a misprint. I've never even heard of them. So USPS bypasses the border fees? How?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Come on?

I will tell you a little story..

Up until September of last year the Ford store I was sales manager at was $250k higher in profit than the previous three years (which were great years to say the least) Then the dollar rose, sales went in the toilet and on January 15th of this year I was unemployed due to a lack of business.

The main reason was the US vs Can pricing and it hit us HARD, until then I was a hero for improving on every aspect of the sales department.

I wasn't going to get into all the feel sorry for Jeff shit, so I didn't mention just how sore of a spot this thread caused me.

Good news is that I took a position for more money and all is well as of a week ago, thank god my resume is stellar.

Still I have to spend 4 months away from my family (except weekends) to accept this new position.

Jeff

p/s I hope it doesn't happen to you guys

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Come on?

I will tell you a little story..

Up until September of last year the Ford store I was sales manager at was $250k higher in profit than the previous three years (which were great years to say the least) Then the dollar rose, sales went in the toilet and on January 15th of this year I was unemployed due to a lack of business.

The main reason was the US vs Can pricing and it hit us HARD, until then I was a hero for improving on every aspect of the sales department.

I wasn't going to get into all the feel sorry for Jeff shit, so I didn't mention just how sore of a spot this thread caused me.

Good news is that I took a position for more money and all is well as of a week ago, thank god my resume is stellar.

Still I have to spend 4 months away from my family (except weekends) to accept this new position.

Jeff

p/s I hope it doesn't happen to you guys
Sorry to hear about the lay off, but glad you got another job.
I had the same thing happen to me. Just as I was about to become a Journeyman steel fabricator back in 93, the large company I worked for decided to shut down operations up here where they were paying 22/hour to the fitters and went to Oregon where the wages were about 10/hour less.

About 100 of us were out of a job (the good news is that the new workers were unable to build the same machines we built with the same quality, relaiability and in a reasonable timeframe so they ultimately shut down operations there too. Now they are no longer in North America) and that was my first taste of the global economy. It sucks, but it is here to stay and you either deal with it the best you can and do what it takes to ensure you are employable or you give up and live on the streets.

In all seriousness, are you telling me that everything you buy is Canadian? Your produce, your tools, clothes? Buying any or all these products effects someone up here, so don't give me that support Canada speach since you are supporting other countries almost every time you purchase something.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
I thought USPS was a misprint. I've never even heard of them. So USPS bypasses the border fees? How?
The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service)

Yes if they ship ground.

·
Registered
772 Posts
yeah actually I do only spend locally because I do get it, the suppliers for my retailers might buy wherever, but I do spend ever cent i earn in the shops around town.

where they buy is up to them, but i do try very hard to make sure local people make a living.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
yeah actually I do only spend locally because I do get it, the suppliers for my retailers might buy wherever, but I do spend ever cent i earn in the shops around town.

where they buy is up to them, but i do try very hard to make sure local people make a living.
I try that, but sometimes their prices are why out of line. I don't mind a guy making a buck or 2 but when its right out thieft than I'll order my own.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts