Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here is my issue. I bought my brokon from a guy whom didnt know anything about it. i found a reciept for the engine rebuild "Install Engine supplied by customer" so now i dont know what it is. I asume it is a 351. but i have no clue if it is a C/M/W. This truck has all the smog equipt taken off and only has the PCV so i have to pass by paying extra. i found recipts from 2000 of him doin the same thing. Well i went offroading and blew a piston and the torque coverter. I was offered a 400 and a bigblock c6 from a FSB member today. How hard would be the coversion from my 351 POS to this 400. I have no money for a 460 or a nother 351 but the 400 was at my budget so what would have to be done to get it in my 82 bronk... Please o please help a poor student out...

Sad BigRed

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Parents tring to get me to sell it. But if i can drop or make this 400 work they said ill be fine. and they will get more trust / respect in me for working around their word and making somthing happen :) any one have awnsers

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
if you are getting a complete motor, harness, and all accessories it shouldnt be hard at all. may have to fab up some new mounts but should be able to do it. alot of people do 460 swaps so it should work

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
bigredkacy said:
Parents tring to get me to sell it.
I hear BigRigTruckin66 is looking for a Bronco.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
bigredkacy said:
thats the thing i dont want to sell/./ How do the 400's hold up? will it work in my 82 that has no pcm?

Like i said as long as you get everything from the engine compartment should work just fine. it will take some money though

·
Registered
401 Posts
Here are my thoughts on your dilemma kacey.

You first need to identify which engine is currently in your truck.

If you currently have a 351M, the 400 swap will be a simple bolt in operation as they share a common block and the only external differences are the flexplate and harmonic balancer.

You need to do some research about what your current situation is before you even touch a wrench. Doing so will save you a bunch of money, and time and as a side benefit will gain you more respect from you parents for doing this successfully.

Once you learn what you have and what you need to look for your emergency situation will also seem much less overwhelming and more like a fun project and a chance to learn.

I have learned by experience that the most important part of wrenching is not knowing where you put your tools, but knowing where to find knowledge.

·
Retired
16,018 Posts
If you look at the motor and the thermostat gos in the block and not the intake. It is a 351m/400...

Here is a pic of my 400. The hole to the left is where t-stat goes and to the right is the distributer... Notice how the intake is a dry intake no water goes in it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts